Japanese Maple growth - "hardening off"

IsaM

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very much a newbie question but when reading about japanese maples I often read references to letting growth "harden off". The term is often referred to but I have struggled to find it defined anywhere. Can someone help and clarify what "hardened" growth looks like on a Japanese Maple and what you should/shouldn't do to growth before it has hardened off? Thanks!

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m not sure where you are reading this but they are probably using the wrong terminology. Hardening off refers to gradually exposing tender plants to sunlight. They should really be referring to lignification. A new shoot is tender and soft. Some say you would want to wait until it has turned more woody (lignified) before pruning it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hardening off is used to describe wood that is no longer greenwood but is not fully lignified. This results in wood condition called semi-hardwood. It is a very important term for those who do summer cuttings for propagation.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All are correct.... I believe that hardening off in this case is that the leaf is fully extended and the outer cuticle has formed on the leaves..... this from a guy pinching maples for the last 3 hours... yeah and I may be punchy.

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can't think of anything that must be done either before or after the new shoots harden off. We can trim and pinch and prune when the shoot is very young and tender or leave it until after it has hardened a bit. What you do and when is more about the bonsai stage your tree is in (growing, developing, ramification or maintenance) rather than spring growth patterns
For trees that are still growing ie I want to increase trunk thickness rapidly I let shoots grow with no or very little pinching and pruning for a whole year or sometimes 2 years.
For trees that are developing branches and ramification I let new shoots grow to 3-6 pairs of leaves then cut back to 1 or 2 pairs to activate new side shoots to give more ramification.
For older trees that have well established branches and dense ramification I pinch new shoot tips as soon as I can get hold of them as they emerge between the first leaves to retard growth and prevent branches getting too thick.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't think of anything that must be done either before or after the new shoots harden off. We can trim and pinch and prune when the shoot is very young and tender or leave it until after it has hardened a bit. What you do and when is more about the bonsai stage your tree is in (growing, developing, ramification or maintenance) rather than spring growth patterns
For trees that are still growing ie I want to increase trunk thickness rapidly I let shoots grow with no or very little pinching and pruning for a whole year or sometimes 2 years.
For trees that are developing branches and ramification I let new shoots grow to 3-6 pairs of leaves then cut back to 1 or 2 pairs to activate new side shoots to give more ramification.
For older trees that have well established branches and dense ramification I pinch new shoot tips as soon as I can get hold of them as they emerge between the first leaves to retard growth and prevent branches getting too thick.
Thanks @Shibui for your comprehensive summary on pinching maples. It’s so great that you continue to share your experience with others less experienced on this site.
cheers
DSD sends

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of people hit on important parts of the concept of hardening off. I think some of the unclarity comes from whether people are referencing leaves or branches. As mentioned above:
  • Leaves are considered hardened off once they develop a waxy cuticle that protects from environmental conditions and somewhat slows transpiration. It helps protect against wind and sunburn. The leaves usually feel firmer and often look darker compared to brand new, tender leaves. There is often a mixture of new, tender growth, and hardened off growth EXCEPT in the spring (all new growth) and once growth stops (midsummer and fall).
  • Stems/branches - new shoots are often soft, somewhat fleshy and green. As they harden off, or turn to semi-hardwood, they are a bit tougher. While not lignified (a protein that compiles on the outside, referred to as bark), they usually turn a darker color.
Reasons hardening off is referred to as an important transitional point in time:
  • Energy: the tree invested its stored energy from the previous year into new shoots and leaves for the spring. After leafing out, the tree is now in an energy deficit. By the time the new leaves harden off, the tree is no longer is such as deficit - it has a new reserve of energy in case of something traumatic - whether environmental or human like pruning or defoliation. If something traumatic happens before the tree returns to an energy positive state (in which it has reserves), outcomes can be unpredictable: pruning with little back budding or alternatively tight, compact growth that seems ideal for refinement, yet a risk of losing branches or the tree dying. Fortunately, JM seem to handle losing leaves to frosts well.
  • Pruning: some people say that the branch can die off if you prune it before it hardens off, while the buds are more consistently viable if you prune later, once they harden off (sometime in May or June usually, but that is tree and region dependent). I try to avoid pruning or damaging branches before they harden off, but when it does occur, I don't think I've typically observed the branch dying off / failing to put out a new shoot from a bud lower down.
  • Wiring: semi-hardwood is, for many species, and ideal time to wire. Fresh, new growth can be easily damaged or broken off. Lignified, older growth can snap. Semi-hardwood tends to be durable yet still somewhat flexible. However, this is highly species and variety dependent.
Pinching is a common technique on JM that removes very new, tender growth. The point is to reduce elongation of internodes when refining a tree. In reference to the above bullet points... it does reduce energy and some experts say to refrain from doing it every year for several years straight, but your only removing a small amount of growth that the tree invested in. In terms of viability of buds, the whole point is that you stopped elongation and two new branches come from the spot where you pinched.

Lastly, its not black-and-white. The leaves are always in a transition from new to abscising. "Hardened off" is a point in between when the leaf is mature, has its cuticle and the stem is transitioning to semi-hardwood, but if you look along a branch in late May, you will likely have completely mature leaves at the base (oldest growth from this season) and completely new leaves at merging at the tip of the shoots.

IsaM

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone for demystifying!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A lot of people hit on important parts of the concept of hardening off. I think some of the unclarity comes from whether people are referencing leaves or branches. As mentioned above:
  • Leaves are considered hardened off once they develop a waxy cuticle that protects from environmental conditions and somewhat slows transpiration. It helps protect against wind and sunburn. The leaves usually feel firmer and often look darker compared to brand new, tender leaves. There is often a mixture of new, tender growth, and hardened off growth EXCEPT in the spring (all new growth) and once growth stops (midsummer and fall).
  • Stems/branches - new shoots are often soft, somewhat fleshy and green. As they harden off, or turn to semi-hardwood, they are a bit tougher. While not lignified (a protein that compiles on the outside, referred to as bark), they usually turn a darker color.
Reasons hardening off is referred to as an important transitional point in time:
  • Energy: the tree invested its stored energy from the previous year into new shoots and leaves for the spring. After leafing out, the tree is now in an energy deficit. By the time the new leaves harden off, the tree is no longer is such as deficit - it has a new reserve of energy in case of something traumatic - whether environmental or human like pruning or defoliation. If something traumatic happens before the tree returns to an energy positive state (in which it has reserves), outcomes can be unpredictable: pruning with little back budding or alternatively tight, compact growth that seems ideal for refinement, yet a risk of losing branches or the tree dying. Fortunately, JM seem to handle losing leaves to frosts well.
  • Pruning: some people say that the branch can die off if you prune it before it hardens off, while the buds are more consistently viable if you prune later, once they harden off (sometime in May or June usually, but that is tree and region dependent). I try to avoid pruning or damaging branches before they harden off, but when it does occur, I don't think I've typically observed the branch dying off / failing to put out a new shoot from a bud lower down.
  • Wiring: semi-hardwood is, for many species, and ideal time to wire. Fresh, new growth can be easily damaged or broken off. Lignified, older growth can snap. Semi-hardwood tends to be durable yet still somewhat flexible. However, this is highly species and variety dependent.
Pinching is a common technique on JM that removes very new, tender growth. The point is to reduce elongation of internodes when refining a tree. In reference to the above bullet points... it does reduce energy and some experts say to refrain from doing it every year for several years straight, but your only removing a small amount of growth that the tree invested in. In terms of viability of buds, the whole point is that you stopped elongation and two new branches come from the spot where you pinched.

Lastly, its not black-and-white. The leaves are always in a transition from new to abscising. "Hardened off" is a point in between when the leaf is mature, has its cuticle and the stem is transitioning to semi-hardwood, but if you look along a branch in late May, you will likely have completely mature leaves at the base (oldest growth from this season) and completely new leaves at merging at the tip of the shoots.
Exactly. I came to post this too. Spoken like Ryan Neil himself!
Waxy cuticle, energy positive. All that!
For those trees I had not been able to drastically reduce during winter, I am now awaiting hardening off of growth in Spring. This tells me the tree is in an energy positive state and should be able to withstand the drastic reduction.
I in fact have 2 different Maple cultivars to remove a top portion of trunk from, and am hoping they respond well at this time.
Also a Common Pear tree, and a Twisted hazel.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Exactly. I came to post this too. Spoken like Ryan Neil himself!
Waxy cuticle, energy positive. All that!
For those trees I had not been able to drastically reduce during winter, I am now awaiting hardening off of growth in Spring. This tells me the tree is in an energy positive state and should be able to withstand the drastic reduction.
I in fact have 2 different Maple cultivars to remove a top portion of trunk from, and am hoping they respond well at this time.
Also a Common Pear tree, and a Twisted hazel.
Thanks! Hoped it was helpful and not too long winded. I figured its better to be thorough.

Yep! I like the fall pruning for deciduous because it's consolidated its energy for fall, its dormant and won't push new growth, and it removes the auxin allowing for the most time for redistribution of resources before spring growth.

I have a trident that I plan to trunk chop either later in May / June or fall. I was going to hold off because I did a fair amount of work on it last fall, but its growing so strongly that I might do it once hardened off a bit more.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! Hoped it was helpful and not too long winded. I figured its better to be thorough.

Yep! I like the fall pruning for deciduous because it's consolidated its energy for fall, its dormant and won't push new growth, and it removes the auxin allowing for the most time for redistribution of resources before spring growth.

I have a trident that I plan to trunk chop either later in May / June or fall. I was going to hold off because I did a fair amount of work on it last fall, but its growing so strongly that I might do it once hardened off a bit more.
Plus its a trident. With an Acer P cultivar, perhaps it would be a problem but a trident is pretty bullet proof from what I know and hear.
My 2 are Acer P cultivars so I need to see some strength from them this Spring. Either way though, the work needs to be done...

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plus its a trident. With an Acer P cultivar, perhaps it would be a problem but a trident is pretty bullet proof from what I know and hear.
My 2 are Acer P cultivars so I need to see some strength from them this Spring. Either way though, the work needs to be done...
They are, more than whether it survives is how it will respond. If I wait a year, I'll get more back budding I think

Top Bottom