Japanese Maple ID

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is this a regular palmatum/mountain maple or something else? The leaves look different than my others. There is no graft. I got it last fall from a semi bonsai nursery and really like it.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 78

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yep Id say A. palmatum.

Grats on getting one not grafted.

Looks like a fun project. Good luck with it!

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I'm going to say GLOWING embers. You find a lot of those nowadays in the south. They were cultivated in atlanta. They are a clonal variety that is grown on its own root stock. I have one that looks much the same.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have alot of plain ol' Acer p. and none that look like this beauty. I looked for it and the closest I can see is Dr Tilt. Ok, I'll fess up, I have a book, not a bonsai book, a maple book, specificly Japanese and not just Acer p. all of them.

Japanese Maples- The complete Guide to Selection and Cultivation by J D Vertrees and Peter Gregory. Includes over 600 plants and I just love paging through it and reading the descriptions of all the different varieties. I looked at Glowing Embers and it's a much redder leafed tree. Take a look at Dr Tilt and see what you think.

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for playing everyone. I think Drew hit it with Glowing embers. Last fall this tree went an amazing scarlet color.

Whatever you call it, I am loving it. This year air layers and next year the syling begins.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yea it's tuff to name the ones that don't have a feature that is a dead give away. The only thin that made me say glowing embers was the lack of graft, which I have one of similar size without a graft, and the leaves look a lot like mine.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do the leaves turn green in summer? A Glowing Embers should have red all summer and an Acer p.will turn green in shade. I have some growing in full sun and they retain reddish tints. The leaves now look like standard Acer p. just like most of mine. What color are the leaf stems? Acer p. has green stems and look at the shape of the leaf. Are they uniform or varied? Particularly the center finger. Is it pointy or blunt?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this a regular palmatum/mountain maple or something else? The leaves look different than my others. There is no graft. I got it last fall from a semi bonsai nursery and really like it.

DN, chances are, it's a seedling with characteristics of a 'cultivar.' If it wasn't labeled as such then no matter how much it "looks" like a 'cultivar' you can't call it that by name. Ethical standards in the nursery industry require absolute clonal reproduction. This may well be a clonal reproduction of a 'cultivar' but not being labeled, all that one can say is it ":looks" like X or Y. Personally, 'cultivar' is not as important as the characteristics of growth for the growing of bonsai. For me, short internodes, smaller leaf, fine twigging, good root production and a whole host of other considerations outweigh a "Name" If it's a good tree just enjoy it for what it is.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Do the leaves turn green in summer? A Glowing Embers should have red all summer and an Acer p.will turn green in shade. I have some growing in full sun and they retain reddish tints. The leaves now look like standard Acer p. just like most of mine. What color are the leaf stems? Acer p. has green stems and look at the shape of the leaf. Are they uniform or varied? Particularly the center finger. Is it pointy or blunt?

Not true. I have one that was 100 percent correctly labeled and the leaves do not stay red all summer. Even some varieties that are known for their summer red leaves eventually turn green with more sun exposure. Check out BVF's maple thread. But as Gary said, I guess it really doesn't matter to me if I have a named cultivar as long as it has good properties for bonsai.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Garywood, is so right. I was once a Japanese maple addict. I've learned that without the orginal label it's pointless to try to ID a Japanese maple cultivar unless you remember what it was labeled. Even with a labeled grafted cultivar sold at nurseries, it's still possible to have a mislabeled or untrue cultivar.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not true. I have one that was 100 percent correctly labeled and the leaves do not stay red all summer. Even some varieties that are known for their summer red leaves eventually turn green with more sun exposure. Check out BVF's maple thread. But as Gary said, I guess it really doesn't matter to me if I have a named cultivar as long as it has good properties for bonsai.

Less sun, more color... All of our potted Maples stay under shade cloth for that reason. It also makes a difference in the Fall when they go to leaf drop. If they were in sun the leafs would dry up and do not drop...

Grimmy

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was not labeled when I bought it. The owner of the nursery said it was acer palmatum that he had bought along with a few bonsai from a local guy. Easy to see how it got misidentified. In any case it has small leaves, short nodes, great all season color, back buds well and is just a sexy tree. Maybe the best $75 I spent all last year.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any that can not be id would be called simply Acer p., because they all are. You can say it has the color of this and the leaf of that, but if you don't know you can't call it either. It sure is fun tossing it around. Any excuse to spend time paging through the book is welcome.

Top Bottom