Japanese Maple in SA #2

MAPLE

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I have this purple type maple, I believe it might be 'Atropurpureum' however its was only marked as a ''red maple'' when purchased.
Ive heard the growth habit is coarse with long internodes so this should be a challenge to keep in check. If anyone has any tricks on how to make the internodes shorter im all ears! So far I only get one flush per year, its not nearly as strong as my regular green variety so im assuming partial leaf defoliation or defoliation in any regard might weaken the tree?

I have tried air layering the top which was unsuccessful which has left the big scar you seeing. Thankfully a bud popped in a great location that will be the new segment of the trunk and eliminating the ugly scar that will never heal.

Here are some photos from the date of purchase in OCT 2016 from a nursery until the recent repot. Comments and advice is welcome!

Untitled (2).jpgUntitled (5).jpgUntitled (3).jpgUntitled (7).jpgUntitled.jpgUntitled (10).jpgUntitled (9).jpg

Untitled (6).jpg

Attachments

• Untitled (8).jpg
    Untitled (8).jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 32

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice start! The leaves are attractive. Keep us updated on your progress.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So far I only get one flush per year, its not nearly as strong as my regular green variety so im assuming partial leaf defoliation or defoliation in any regard might weaken the tree?
Of course it does weaken any tree. The leaves are the engine.

But the tree ought to produce 2 and maybe 3 flushes. By just letting it grow, you should see growth pause about November and then resume. Then again growth will stop extending about February. Toward the end of these pauses is the prime time to cut back and/or defoliate. In my cool climate, most cultivars are slow to build and release buds. If I defoliate in May some won't reflush until nearly August and that is it for the year. After the summer solstice, many won't refush at all for the remainder of that growing year.

Penjing-Darren

Sapling
Reaction score
Very nice great potential. I like. Local is lekker!

Top Bottom