Japanese maple late season leaf burn

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What can be done for late season leaf burn? It's obviously too late in the season to defoliate. A few leaves have fallen off, leaving healthy red buds. This happened last year also, and the tree survived the winter and budded out fine in the spring.

This particular tree is an unknown cultivar, right next to two kashimas, which are fine. Maybe kashimas are more sun tolerant?

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What can be done for late season leaf burn? It's obviously too late in the season to defoliate. A few leaves have fallen off, leaving healthy red buds. This happened last year also, and the tree survived the winter and budded out fine in the spring.

This particular tree is an unknown cultivar, right next to two kashimas, which are fine. Maybe kashimas are more sun tolerant?
Any pictures? Maybe look at some shade screen next year. Or rotate the sun sensitive ones behind something that will give protection from the late afternoon sun.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
could be wind not sun possibly as well. Or a bit of drying. If the tree has a lot of foliage they dry out quicker than trees with less foliage, so hard to compare even if next to each other. Basically not much you can do right now anyway, just let it ride.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where I live, dry warm winds brown the leaves. I use mixed shade and some wind protection (larger trees) and it kinda helps. Down the road, maybe 2 miles, a very good bonsai individual says in the past 40 years he has been unsuccessful with Japanese maples! Location and climate are everything!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought I had a pretty good position for my JMs. But we had 3-4 weeks of though summer, temperatures up to 35-37 C. Leaving for vacancies the leaves were half way crispy, returning back I had to defoliate them, some were falling off alone... After a week the buds are swelling, some are already pushing new growth. This didn't happen for a first time, but it's never been so massive loss of foliage and all my JMs affected before... I think they'll be OK. More shade and humidity, impossible here.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm getting sick of dealing with deciduous problems....just bums me out man...while my yews and junipers are doing very well...my maples, elms, crape myrtle, hornbeams are all having a rough go...

I moved most of them into shade for the rest of summer....

Too wet most of the year, with 4 day stretches of super hot sun and dry winds thrown in the mix, not to mention a mean case of black spot is currently defoliating all my deciduous ...just too extreme for them this year...

I'll do 5 Hail Daconils and keep em shaded with careful watering.

Taxus dont mind tho (the bulletproof, super-plant.)

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm getting sick of dealing with deciduous problems....just bums me out man...while my yews and junipers are doing very well...my maples, elms, crape myrtle, hornbeams are all having a rough go...

I moved most of them into shade for the rest of summer....

Too wet most of the year, with 4 day stretches of super hot sun and dry winds thrown in the mix, not to mention a mean case of black spot is currently defoliating all my deciduous ...just too extreme for them this year...

I'll do 5 Hail Daconils and keep em shaded with careful watering.

Taxus dont mind tho (the bulletproof, super-plant.)
Amen to that. I've been toying with the idea of building a shade cloth system for years. This particular tree is in the ground, though, thickening up. The 2 kashimas right next to it are fine.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd like to see what you come up with. I have some ideas but haven't executed yet.
I have a deck that is up high, I'm planning to build a 2 tier bench off of the supports of the deck and on the ground....and I definitely need to think more about shade cloth methods.
But I'll surely post!

Top Bottom