Japanese Maple Potensai?

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I planted this tree about 3 years ago in my yard and now my wife wants it gone because the growth on the top is really ugly. I am not sure exactly why, but it shot up about 3 feet in one growing season as if it had gotten a lot of nitrogen even though I wasn't adding anything to it. The trunk is about 3 inches in diameter at about 3 inches above the base. It also leans forward a bit in the direction of the top picture. It's leaning away in the bottom picture. Does anyone see bonsai potential here?

IMG_20140208_16554_edit_1391900168780.jpg

IMG_20140208_16535_edit_1391900074737.jpg

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure. Cut it down all the way to the last small branch. And start building a new leader. It's going to take years but you could make it into a good tree.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Well, first off, the tree is far from mature. If your wife is unhappy with how it looks now it seems silly to remove a landscaping tree if that's what you want in that area. You can prune it to shape and use guy wires and stakes to pull it into position. You could even easily remove one of the trunks to get a single trunk landscaping tree.

As for growth... it is my understanding that container plants may show superior growth for a year or two. This is because the root system is contained so energy is spent above ground. Eventually all growth is stunted. When you plant something in the ground the majority of initial growth is actually underground while the plant establishes a good root system. After a few years when the roots are developed top growth really takes off and quickly surpasses anything grown in a pot.

Now for bonsai there is always potential if you want to try. Do you know what cultivar it is? I have a large JM Bloodgod in the front yard of my house. That cultivar is a poor bonsai specimen because it has rather long internodes. But the bigger the finished bonsai tree is the less this matters. It would be best to collect a year from now and go around the base of the tree 18" out from the trunk driving a spade into the ground to sever all horizontal roots. If you can't do this keep as much of the root ball in tact as possible when collecting. Either way you can chop off the top growth, maybe 6-12" above the "Y". If you successfully collect it I would air layer right below the trunk split for a mother/daughter tree (although it will take work to make one trunk more dominant than the other) and the base can be used for an informal or formal upright. That would give you at least two trees to play with. If it's going to the trash there's no harm in trying.

Last edited:

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the advice. I could leave it for another year, since I don't have a replacement for it right now, so I may try that. If I remember correctly, I planted it on a tile so I'm thinking that will help some with the downward root growth.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the whole tree? What cultivar is this?

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have a picture of the whole tree? What cultivar is this?

No, I don't, sorry. What your seeing is about the first 2 feet or so. As far as the cultivar, the tag simply said Japanese Maple. It has green leaves that are smaller than my other JM's in the yard.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, I don't, sorry. What your seeing is about the first 2 feet or so. As far as the cultivar, the tag simply said Japanese Maple. It has green leaves that are smaller than my other JM's in the yard.

Let me know if you need my address on where to send it :)

Work this tree its got potential for sure.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It appears to have potential. I'd just check for any dead roots coming directly off the trunk; then decide if it's worth your time and effort.

Top Bottom