Japanese maple raft project

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Wingin' it estimate, around 13 inches from rootball edge to rootball edge on this material?
I can only estimate correctly when there is a bunch of beer cans in the photo....:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D
Definitely wider... I'll bust out the tape measure when I get home.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep....that's some swank lookin' stuff.

Good color for the near tropics.....:p

Rare is the raft raging for recognition........:cool:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice :) I'm doing a 5 tree maple raft so I will be eagerly watching the famed @Dav4 machinations with interest ;)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another year of root and canopy development ends and another begins. This one took a glancing blow from the oak tree debacle last December and lost the apex off the tallest trunk on the right, but was otherwise unharmed. The roots continue to improve, but getting it into a larger wooden box and using the board to adjust the root mass on the right will speed things up and will keep @Adair M off my back;).
IMG_0622.jpgIMG_0623.jpgIMG_0624.jpgIMG_0625.jpgIMG_0626.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Have you ever heard the “rule” that raft Bonsai are supposed to have the original root system on the left, like you do? I heard that YEARS ago and never really thought much of it, other than trees fall in all directions so it seemed a bit absurd. Yours is coming along nicely. It will be kinda whimsical to end up with perfect radial nebari sitting on that board.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you ever heard the “rule” that raft Bonsai are supposed to have the original root system on the left, like you do? I heard that YEARS ago and never really thought much of it, other than trees fall in all directions so it seemed a bit absurd. Yours is coming along nicely. It will be kinda whimsical to end up with perfect radial nebari sitting on that board.
No, never heard of that rule, though I'm pleased to hear my creation conforms to it by pure luck:).
The question of the roots and how to work that right side was something I thought long and hard over. Keeping the overall impression as being wild was important, but I need the roots to grow well and thought spreading them out on the board would help that job along. Having an even and balanced nebari there wouldn't necessarily come in conflict with the design as it stands, but I'm thinking I may attempt to instill some asymmetry there if possible at a future re-pot...maybe... we'll see... it's kind of fun to play around with all the possibilities with this one:cool:.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another year of root and canopy development ends and another begins. This one took a glancing blow from the oak tree debacle last December and lost the apex off the tallest trunk on the right, but was otherwise unharmed. The roots continue to improve, but getting it into a larger wooden box and using the board to adjust the root mass on the right will speed things up and will keep @Adair M off my back;).
View attachment 180316View attachment 180317View attachment 180318View attachment 180319View attachment 180320
Dave, this bad boy has potential to be a future NC Expo winner! Forget using one WIIIDE pot! No, thus is calling for two separate pots! One for each side. And in two Expo fashion, they ought not match!

If course, if you want to win people’s Choice, you need to get a couple mudmen... maybe one in a boat kinda going under the tree, and the other fishing.

Now, if want to do this full on Redneck, use a little Burt Reynolds doll, on a raft, and do a Deliverance theme... (Would that be a ROR style? Raft Over Raft?). I’m sure we can get a little speaker and have Dueling Banjos playing!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, this bad boy has potential to be a future NC Expo winner! Forget using one WIIIDE pot! No, thus is calling for two separate pots! One for each side. And in two Expo fashion, they ought not match!

If course, if you want to win people’s Choice, you need to get a couple mudmen... maybe one in a boat kinda going under the tree, and the other fishing.

Now, if want to do this full on Redneck, use a little Burt Reynolds doll, on a raft, and do a Deliverance theme... (Would that be a ROR style? Raft Over Raft?). I’m sure we can get a little speaker and have Dueling Banjos playing!
Holy crap, that's funny... and it's given me some ideas for future showings!!

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
What I love about this tree is how natural it is. Raft style is so underutilized, and I love the style, but this tree kind of blows all of those out of the water. It really has the feels an old, toppled tree trunk that continues to sprout and survive. I really like it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would you consider the two sides in two different pots.. or two halves of a broken pot? I know probably would look ridiculous, but just spitballing here.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would you consider the two sides in two different pots.. or two halves of a broken pot? I know probably would look ridiculous, but just spitballing here.
I've personally always pictured this one being shown in a single wide, shallow pot. The idea to have each root section in a separate section is interesting but unlikely to happen at this juncture in the tree's (and my) journey. If I keep it long enough and get bored with it, who knows. Finding the appropriate pot segments would be challenging to say the least.

Top Bottom