Japanese maple raft project

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So, here is this tree in it’s first show. It didn’t receive any awards, but I had many people tell me what a great tree I had there, more than any other tree I’ve ever put in the show :) . The judge went as far as to tell me he would gladly take it off my hands if I ever grow bored with it ...
View attachment 232705

Congrats Dave. Looks great and nice presentation. Great potential this tree has!

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Dav4 this is the kind of thread that gets me excited about bonsai.
Really interesting and inspiring to read through these long progression threads.

Down right killer tree, or should I say trees?

:)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice progress Dav4!
If my raft project hawthorn gets even close to this I'll be more than happy!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Impressive. I really like this tree....something you don't see everyday.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Wow, what a great tree!
Thanks

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For one reason or another, part of the trunk had died, so the roots were relatively one sided. I kept it around for a long time, mainly because it was 3 inches thick, but it was UGLY...little to no taper, a partially dead trunk, and only a few branches. The raft idea was basically a last resort option.

Now that’s what I call making lemonade from Lemons. Way to take a shite situation and make it spectacular. You’ve got me seeking trees that I can intentionally turn in to a raft in this fashion.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking at the earlier leafless photos, this maple does looks like a seahorse. From now on it will be known as Seahorse maple. I would also like to have this one designated as BonsaiNut treasure... (Similar to historical houses) Any work will need to be thoroughly vested from Bnut members. If you agree then like this post.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Looking at the earlier leafless photos, this maple does looks like a seahorse. From now on it will be known as Seahorse maple. I would also like to have this one designated as BonsaiNut treasure... (Similar to historical houses) Any work will need to be thoroughly vested from Bnut members. If you agree then like this post.
I won't sign anything, though;)...

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'll join the team and say, man, that is an awesome tree you have there. Very unique and I haven't seen anything else like it. Well done so far!! It is in good hands and I look forward to more updates!!

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Why does it need all that height ? Still looks Messy to me... I like post 87 a lot... As Is, it needs a new Direction...Looking forward to seeing what you can transform it into ????

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Why does it need all that height ? Still looks Messy to me... I like post 87 a lot... As Is, it needs a new Direction...Looking forward to seeing what you can transform it into ????
This tree doesn't need a new direction... it's simply back into training mode, so "messy" is a non issue for me or the tree. I want vigor to thicken the trunk and rootage, and continue building branches and ramification, and the tree is taller right now as I've started a few sacrifice branches off of each trunk to push things along (I also say that the picture overly accentuates the height of some of the lower branching in the front of the tree).

Top Bottom