Japanese Maple, Raw Material

Escobar090

Seedling
Reaction score
What do you think of this one?, Its about 10 years old according to the nursery where i got it from.

At the moment we're in spring in my country, temperatures from 57 to 80 F° (rising from here on until march)

I actually like the size of the trunk, what can be done now?, re pot, style, according to the owner of the nursery it should be wire horizontally, so the tree starts to back bud.

2013-10-25 18.57.21.jpg

2013-10-25 18.56.51.jpg

2013-10-25 18.56.57.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have a pic of the nebari? Advice that has been given to me with similar material is that you want to build it from the ground up.

Escobar090

Seedling
Reaction score
As of right now i don't know about the nebari on this tree, at least it cant be seen from the ground level, i'll post a picture later tomorrow.

Thanks!

tim

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi escobar. We also have spring now.
Nice material you have there. I see the tree is growing actively,so I would not do major root work(pruning etc) now. It's best to do it in early spring,before the buds open. You can perhaps plant it into a bigger container or in the ground ?
Perhaps a few air layers if. You want to propagate more of them ?

Escobar090

Seedling
Reaction score
How long should the trunk be?

I still cant find the nebari, need a bigger pot

From what i can see, the trunks keeps going under the soil, i dont know how much larger it will be, so my point is, whats the usual trunk lenght for japanese maples? Should i air layer it if its too long?

tim

Sapling
Reaction score
Then you'll have to play the waiting game;).
The ratio to girth / height is about 1 to 6 if I'm not mistaken? To me it's more of a guideline I don't take that rule to seriously.

Top Bottom