Japanese Maple rootstock

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cut back branches from the trunk that were growing taller than the one I'm approach grafting. Maybe I'll get more buds popping too? Thread grafts left alone.
20180529_105800.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Was going to leave it alone as I'm not sure some of the grafts took, but definitely one has not. Either way, glad I worked it. Some roots were large. The seedlings started growing a lot of roots which I removed on the exit side. I did prune a little on the side that I'm intending to be part of the tree's surface roots. There are times when I want to remove entirely that large trunk that I'm grafting the next section of trunk to.
IMG_20190123_132913_286.jpgIMG_20190123_132913_288.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang... that's a science fair project over my head. I've not attempted any grafts yet but reading up on it as I have a subject in mind. Good job I think:)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update shots and a sketch. Overall this maple did well in 2019.

Cut the tops off my root grafts. Removed branches and a big trunk. I sealed large wounds with not just wood glue but also duct seal this time after the glue was dry. An old large wound rotted so I drilled it through and stuck in a portion of a branch that had rooted. The other portion is planted to the side. I was considering doing a peg in the hole attachment, but decided not to. It could be done later if really needed.
20200123_122247.jpg20200123_085701.jpgIMG_20200123_091131_041.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Update shots and a sketch. Overall this maple did well in 2019.

Cut the tops off my root grafts. Removed branches and a big trunk. I sealed large wounds with not just wood glue but also duct seal this time after the glue was dry. An old large wound rotted so I drilled it through and stuck in a portion of a branch that had rooted. The other portion is planted to the side. I was considering doing a peg in the hole attachment, but decided not to. It could be done later if really needed.
View attachment 280130View attachment 280131View attachment 280132
Love your vision for this tree! Enjoyed the progress photos. Well accomplished with the task at hand.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great work on this, Martin. You've done a terrific job of working this tree from the ground up. Taking your time and developing quality nebari is resulting in a tree with a bright future. I like how this clump (?) isn't the typical "by the numbers" kind of tree. It's got interesting character and that's going to be what sets it apart going forward.
I'm not sure about the left hand trunk though. It's so separate from the main tree that I feel like it doesn't go with the composition. This may change as it thickens and develops.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great work on this, Martin. You've done a terrific job of working this tree from the ground up. Taking your time and developing quality nebari is resulting in a tree with a bright future. I like how this clump (?) isn't the typical "by the numbers" kind of tree. It's got interesting character and that's going to be what sets it apart going forward.
I'm not sure about the left hand trunk though. It's so separate from the main tree that I feel like it doesn't go with the composition. This may change as it thickens and develops.
Thanks! I agree about the trunk off to the side. I may bring it in closer next year, graft it, or just remove altogether.

Top Bottom