Japanese Maple seeds

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I’m not even out of the gate yet with growing these and I see I need to step it up !!
I’m open to Coral Barks yellow or reds, Summer Gold or just about any !!!
Also I’m not looking for a handout ;) $$
good for you, handouts are the new American dream. i refuse to partake. just supply

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cunningham's Law

Thanks for implementing my knowledge of phrases in English, I didn't know this expression. I found this definition :

"The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer."

Of course you can cross a laceleaf with an Arakawa. It's statistically unlikely, but even if it's unlikely, it might happen.

Maybe there are some genetics tricks. Which "bark" genes can be re-arranged with "laceleaf" genes, hard to know for ignorants like us. But it's much more likely than the existence of life after death ;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe there are some genetics tricks. Which "bark" genes can be re-arranged with "laceleaf" genes
True. I have no idea whether the genetic markup for corkbark is on the same gene as the lacy shape markup. COuld be. But.. Not sure . It can probably be found somewhere.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are seeds on JM now. Drive around and look for trees in the landscapes of better class commercial buildings and cemeteries. The seeds that are down at the base of the tree now are probably more mature than those still on the tree. They mature and fall over a month or six week period so you can haunt them on non-business days like Sundays and get all you can stand. Often, there are really good years for seeds/fruits followed by off years with little or none, so don't be bewildered if you bump into a bad year. You can buy aluminum roasting pans from the Dollar store, ~12" x 18" x 4" that you can punch drain holes in the bottom with a nail and fill with dirt. Broadcast the seeds on top and cover with 1/2" crushed leaves and set in partial sun on the ground. In spring you will be rewarded.

Seedlings are tasty, so any protection from birds and mice will be helpful.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
aluminum roasting pans from the Dollar store, ~12" x 18" x 4" that you can punch drain holes in the bottom with a nail
THis is such a blatantly obvious idea that I hate myself for not having it! I have this stuff at home all the time for long BBQ roasts, and have never thought about using them as seedling trays!
Cool idea!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know it’s a gamble but I’d love to try to grow some seeds from a beautiful summer red/scarlet and magnificent fall red tree along with any unique and or oddly small leafed JM.
Thank you :)
Your best bet is to buy/collect seeds from a similar looking cultivar. Red Japanese maples tend to make red seedlings. Small leaf tend to make small leaf, etc.

The first seed that sprouted for me was from Arakawa and has deeply cut, fern-like leaves. Fingers crossed that it inherits the rough bark.

Attachments

• 20200524_142739.jpg
    20200524_142739.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 19

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I found a large trident maple today that still has seeds,are they ok to collect and plant? Have they stratified enough to germinate? will they germinate if I just place them in soil? In need of trident seedlings for root grafts next year.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a large trident maple today that still has seeds,are they ok to collect and plant? Have they stratified enough to germinate? will they germinate if I just place them in soil? In need of trident seedlings for root grafts next year.
If they have been on the tree outside, yes they have stratified enough. Plant them.
Risk is that they might not be viable, but I collected trident seeds from a tree in winter 2019 and got 90% germination. So I am optimistic based on 1 (!) experience collecting non-dropped seeds.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
If they have been on the tree outside, yes they have stratified enough. Plant them.
Risk is that they might not be viable, but I collected trident seeds from a tree in winter 2019 and got 90% germination. So I am optimistic based on 1 (!) experience collecting non-dropped seeds.
Yeaaahhhhh buddy!!!! Thanks 😊

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Certainly it is worth the try. They have been through the necessary cold period though they stand a very good chance of desiccating. Tree seeds collected from the ground have a better chance.
Best luck.

Reaction score
I know it’s a gamble but I’d love to try to grow some seeds from a beautiful summer red/scarlet and magnificent fall red tree along with any unique and or oddly small leafed JM.
Thank you :)
Give me your postal address and I will send some seeds in an envelop. My green Maple turns a brilliant red in the fall. I get hundreds of volunteer seedlings each year.
Garth

Top Bottom