Japanese Maple Source

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to know if anyone here has ordered from this company called Kigi Nursery. They have a very interesting list of maples (as well as everything else on their website). I thought I would share the link as some of these cultivars are very cool and I may try ordering something in the autumn or next spring. In fact if you go to their full maple list, they have an impressive number including full moon maples, vine maples, tridents, etc.

https://kiginursery.com/acer-palmatum-japanese-maples/?sort=alphaasc&page=1

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven’t ordered but keep in mind these are likely grafts.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is almost certainly true - since they are named cultivars they'd have to be grafted, rooted cuttings, or air layered, etc. So yeah, probably. But if you are wanting a particular cultivar you aren't going to get it any other way than to get hold of one and then work on rooting cuttings or air layered. I know a lot of people do them also from seed but then what you get is going to be a lot more hit or miss. I've taken cuttings from my grafted Bloodgood and a small number of those have rooted. I do see grafted trees throw a lot of nice looking seedlings too.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a old Bloodgood I’m trying to take cuttings from soon, how did you get yours to root. What was your process? Thanks

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Standard heel 'cuttings' soaked briefly in a 10% bleach solution for about 10 minutes, then washed. Dipped in rooting hormone and then domed and put into dappled shade. Lost most of them when the dome got knocked off by the cat but some of them are still fine. These are second generation cuttings as the first generation are now small trees (two survived) and I cut them back hard this spring to start shaping as pre-bonsai. I am working now to get a number of maples from seed but I'm still watching out for varieties to plant out in the yard at the new cabin for landscaping. Ones that I have some chance of getting cuttings, layers, or seed off of later.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Patty, once you move up here you need to visit Mr Maple in Flat Rock, they have an exhaustive inventory of maples. Their website is mrmaple.com .

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patty, once you move up here you need to visit Mr Maple in Flat Rock, they have an exhaustive inventory of maples. Their website is mrmaple.com .
Yes, that was pointed out to me before, thank you! I will definitely go and visit them before I go and order anything. I need to wait until my wallet recovers! ;)

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I concur! Mr Maple has pretty much access to the largest selection of Acer palmatum cultivars in the country. Also lots of tridents and ginkos.
They are are mainly graft but as you mentioned great way to get some exciting cultivars and then propagate for Bonsai. Ive pushed them several times for cuttings but of course they are a business so grafting is there main focus. I have quite a few from them and have been starting to work on cuttings, layers the past few years. They have a Memori

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd like to know if anyone here has ordered from this company called Kigi Nursery.

I ordered several JWP and JBP culivars from them about a year ago. They have a lot of unusual cultivars including some that I had never heard of. Spoke with the owner and he was somewhat short on information, but he did answer my questions. Trees came well-packaged and they are all still alive.

My one comment/complaint was that the grafts themselves were really rough - particularly on the white pines. They are definitely aiming for people who use the trees in landscape. The black pines will be fine but I think the white pines I received will be difficult to use for bonsai given the awkward grafts. This may be a consideration if you are trying Japanese maples, though the majority of JM are going to be grafted anyway, and it is usually the main challenge you will have with JM from non-bonsai nurseries.

Top Bottom