Japanese maple stopped its growth in extension

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
I share my concern, a Japanese maple in my garden that was recently transplanted into a grow box abruptly stopped its growth, the tree looks perfectly healthy and all new growth without any blemishes or warning signs except for the tender tips of each branch that lost turgor and ended up drying (only the apical growth of some branches)

This condition does not affect the rest of the growth on each branch, again, all new growth is perfect.

ideas? any presumptive diagnosis?

I can think of post-transplant stress or a root problem, I'm pretty sure it's not overwatering.

Thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It doesn't sound like an issue but it would help to give appropriate advice if you post you location in your profile.
In my climate seasonal timing of this recent transplantation would be inappropriate IMO.

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like an issue but it would help to give appropriate advice if you post you location in your profile.
In my climate seasonal timing of this recent transplantation would be inappropriate IMO.
Southern Hemisphere, spring here.

The transplant was carried out at the end of winter (approximately two months ago)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

The transplant was carried out at the end of winter (approximately two months ago)
That is minimal help. The minimal answer is transplant shock.
Got pictures? What zone?

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
That is minimal help. The minimal answer is transplant shock.
Got pictures? What zone?
The transplant was carried out with the recommended technique and care, the tree has remained in the shade since that day and I have not yet moved it to the sun.

Inert substrate with 20% pine bark without fines.

I am south of Brazil, South America.

Thank you very much for the good will always to help :)

Attachments

• 20221007_095027~2.jpg
    20221007_095027~2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 37

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Not sure what part of the southern hemisphere you are in. Some pictures of the foliage with the dry leaves would help
But i'm in South Africa and we've had an unusually warm spring, I would say we skipped spring and went straight to summer.
I've seen it mentioned on more than one resource that Japanese maples don't do well in temperatures above 90 degrees Fahrenheit (Roughly 32 Celsius) and we've had those temperatures and more the last 2 to 3 weeks. So it's not unusual for them to slow down growth during those kind of temperatures. So i would suggest putting them in either partial shade or full shade and monitoring their water usage.

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
The tree is sheltered in the shade and so far it is a quiet spring around 25 degrees Celsius.

What puzzles me in this fall is the great growth and extension that the tree produced after the transplant to now abruptly stop and dry the tender apical shoots; It's like a mixed message.

Top Bottom