Japanese maple the slowest way

napo_v

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Again, I have a question.

I sowed some Japanese maple seeds last December, now I got some seedlings, the germination rate was quite low (7 out of 30), they are placed in a germinating tray with individual cells 1 inch by 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch in depth. They now are 3 months old, and have between 2 and 3 pairs of leaves.

When would be the best time to place them into individual pots?

Additional info: The soil mix I used was made of pumice, peat moss and black soil.

Also, I sowed seeds from many different trees such as Japanese pines, trident maple, zelkovas, but only the Japanese maples germinated.

Sincerely,

Napo

Attachments

• seeds 1.JPG
    seeds 1.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 66
  • seeds 2.JPG
    seeds 2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 51

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
"When would be the best time to place them into individual pots? "
Just before the second set of leaves came out. I was just reading an article on this in one of Bill Valvanis' magazine yesterday. I had just found a J Maple with all kinds of seedlings below it and got permission to get some so I found the article to figure out what was next.

Basically it was to harvest, and pot up for another year, with no other work. Next year trim out the nebari to eliminate the tap root and shorten laterals to fine feeders, then start pinching out the center buds as the new buds open up to show new leaves, this keeps nodes short, then it still needs some years to grow, with the occasional up sizing of pots.

But seeing as you will not really disturb the roots up potting these, do it now. Your other seeds may still germinate yet, seeds are like everything else each kind has it's own needs, some may take a couple of years.

napo_v

Seedling
Reaction score
Re: Japanese maple seedlings

Thanks Bill,

That information is really helpful. I will pot these into bigger pots, and I´ll wait for the other seeds to germinate.... TWO YEARS...

Napo

Top Bottom