Japanese Maple too skinny to air layer?

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First off - I'm a gardener with some experience but a total beginner at bonsai. After killing two trees with overzealous pruning and repotting, I am now very nervous about making the wrong cut. I'm in Chicago and I think I still have time to start an air layer.

I picked up a Japanese Maple from a local bonsai nursery that they admitted had been somewhat neglected. The canopy is quite nice and the nursery owner suggested using it for an air layer. I thought it was a good idea at the time but now I'm second guessing myself.

I'm looking at the part of the trunk underneath the canopy (where the trunk splits in three), maybe 2-3" undeneath that part for the air layer? The trunk is approx 1/2" throughout and I'm worried that the canopy is too heavy for it. Should I prune some branches/foliage first? I was thinking of using a bamboo pole to support it.

g7qK7sw.jpg

SKKFpln.jpg

L4X1MxS.jpg

Also - can anyone please identify the second plant growing? I suspected it was a tree sapling of some sort so I left it with the intent of using it as a cutting. Thank you all for your help, I've never seen a forum where the members are both very knowledgeable and so helpful to beginners.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is perfect for an air layer. The top is too heavy and there is not much taper. I see 2 trees when I look at this maple.
I don't think the small plant is a tree at all. It is probably a weed.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm in Chicago and I think I still have time to start an air layer.

I wouldn't. First, the tree isn't all that strong. Second, you're almost in July. I personally think it is late in the season for Chicago... but perhaps someone local has a different opinion.

You can do a lot with that tree right now without air-layering it. There are a lot of dead branches that should be removed. You could do some basic wiring to open up the canopy and allow the leaves access to light. The tree appears to have been kept in full shade, and the growth is leggy and weak. I would move it into dappled sun, and give it some attention with fertilizer to make it as strong as possible prior to fall. Then in late winter you can prune, and after the first push of growth has hardened, consider air-layering.

can anyone please identify the second plant growing?

It's a weed of some sort. Toss it. I can't identify it, but I have pulled 100's of them in my day :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not air layer it now in your area or in mine, but it would be on the agenda for spring for certain.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, Fellow Tiny-Tree enthusiast! Glad you floated in, uncork your bottle and stay a while.

Most sound advice has already been presented to you. And by those more versed to handle your specific inquiries.

Just dropping a welcoming aerial root in your direction, stranger.

You are most definitely going to want to update your profile information to reflect the previously mentioned..Chicago.. as it will allow everyone involved to bestow upon you the most pertinent information, synonymous with your climate zone.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

I have pulled 100's of them in my day :)

And HOW! ;) ;) ;)

I believe they are “Devil’s Beggarticks”.. for trivia’s sake (could be wrong) They are a nuisance..just like qaussias.. 😂😂 (Tree of heaven, my foot!)

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:):) Thank you all for the warm welcome! Ok so no air layer this year - understood. Two questions then:
There are a lot of dead branches that should be removed.

I thought incidental dead branches were desired on bonsai trees, is this not what 'jin' refers to?

You could do some basic wiring to open up the canopy and allow the leaves access to light. The tree appears to have been kept in full shade, and the growth is leggy and weak. I would move it into dappled sun, and give it some attention with fertilizer to make it as strong as possible prior to fall. Then in late winter you can prune, and after the first push of growth has hardened, consider air-layering.

Ok so with that in mind here's my revised plan:

-open canopy w wire
-fertilize and increase sun exposure
-prune late winter
-some time in spring, return to nursery pot to promote trunk thickness and overall growth and start air layer.

Does this sound like a good plan?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I'm a little biased cuz I'm pushing these Deciduous Literati pots I been making....but...

I'd strip all the low growth and just start training that canopy up there.

Where'd it come from?

That looks like one of them stinging weeds. It's gonna have a lotta roots I reckon.

Neighbor.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought incidental dead branches were desired on bonsai trees, is this not what 'jin' refers to?
On conifers and a few tropicals, but dead wood is bad on most deciduous trees, particularly maples. I remember Dr Shigo referred to them as sugar sticks.
They will rot and could cause problems in the main plant, perhaps dieback.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok so with that in mind here's my revised plan:

-open canopy w wire
-fertilize and increase sun exposure
-prune late winter
-some time in spring, return to nursery pot to promote trunk thickness and overall growth and start air layer.

Does this sound like a good plan?
That is what I would do, but honestly, I think the tree is not at all weak, just neglected. Looks like it was jammed in with a bunch of other plants.
I just think its late for an air layer.

Top Bottom