Japanese Maple transplant - leaves dry/wilt after water

bonsaibobba

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everybody,

We just started getting into bonsai trees. I have a source for free mini seedlings that sprout under the big tree when it drops seeds. I am in MA. I dug them out 10/2 and kept them with the same soil (soil is custom coconut stuff that was made for ginseng plants) and they were doing great. 5 total, 1 baby, 2 mediums, and 2 larger around 1ft tall and 1/4 thick main stem. They have been doing great without any care since I moved them home until I gave them water...

Here is issue #1 10/6 - leaves started changing from green to red. looked normal. As the week went on, it still looked good, was like having mini fall inside. I then decided to give it a little water, around 10/9-10/10. After a 2 days or so, a leaf started to curl up and look dried, then another, and another. Now all the leaves are dried and have just about fallen off. The other large one is sharing the same bucket for now. Today I noticed little black dotted pests, I believe are aphids, on the leaves and stems. I cleaned those off with a q-tip and just ordered some neem spray. This explains the chewed up leaves? There was no pests on the one with dried leaves.

What would be causing this? Weird that it was after it water. This also happened to the baby . Ione used some leftover airy, well draining soil from a dead plant and added to its current soil. Water it and it did the same thing. These leaves were still dark maroon color. Same time, right after watering.

Any ideas? could it just be going into fall mode?

The 2 medium ones are doing fine. They share the soil I used for the baby plant. Havent really added water.

Last edited:

bonsaibobba

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
would also like to add that they are getting minimal sunlight inside the bathroom

bonsaibobba

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, for multiple post. I would edit if I could!

Here are some pictures. Is it just going into dormancy? If so, looks like indeed to put it the unheated garage. 20211018_000400.jpg20211018_000353.jpg20211018_000414.jpg20211018_000436.jpg20211018_123356.jpg20211018_123406.jpg20211018_123420.jpg20211018_123435.jpg

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm relatively new to this myself, by why are the maples indoors? Try putting them outside?

bonsaibobba

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just wanted to add some extra green to the indoors :)

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Like my grandma use to say, grow weed inside and Japanese Maples outside 😂

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
First, welcome to the site!
Second, please select your username in the upper-right of the page, go to "Account details", and enter in your USDA Zone. This will help members give more accurate advice to you because plant care very often varies greatly by what zone you're in.
Third, why are these maples inside? They should be outside year-round. Keeping them in the house is likely (but not 100% certainly) the reason why the leaves are drying up so fast and dropping.
Fourth, what's the reasoning behind using coconut husk for soil?

Get them outside where they belong. With fall now in your area, you shouldn't see any new leaves until next spring. Water lightly over the winter, like about every two weeks. I wouldn't fiddle with the soil too much now. Just wait and repot them in more appropriate substrate around February/March. Finally, when you do repot, don't use 5 gallon buckets. Use an appropriate nursery pot with adequate drain holes at the very least.

bonsaibobba

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Moving outside it is.

The ginseng patch was created with the coconut medium. It's been 10+ years and ginseng is live and well. The patch is right below the tree for shade and the seeds from the tree drop and sprout like wildfire.

Yes, dug out on 10/2 😬. little too early/.. Just had the itch to get going. There is plenty more to dig up.

RobC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry, for multiple post. I would edit if I could!

Here are some pictures. Is it just going into dormancy? If so, looks like indeed to put it the unheated garage. View attachment 403633View attachment 403634View attachment 403635View attachment 403636View attachment 403637View attachment 403638View attachment 403639View attachment 403640

do those buckets have holes in the bottom for water to drain? branches and leader turning dark are not good signs. it might be drowning if no drain holes.

Top Bottom