Japanese Maple Trunk Split

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was flipping through an issue of International Bonsai from last year and saw the instructional on how to split a trunk of a small japanese maple for the purpose of bending into a semi-cascade.

I don't recall seeing if there was a comment on what time of year is best to do this. My gut would tell me spring after it is warm enough so that there is no risk of freeze. I am very lucky to have a good amount of Japanese maples in my yard that range from one foot to full size trees. Last year I gave air-layering a shot on one I wouldn't mind losing. I think it worked as there were plenty of roots when I separated the layer. Hopefully it survives the winter.

I wanted to try to split the trunk of one of the smaller ones this year. It's approximately 2 feet and maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch in diameter. My question is, what time is best to do this and also, if the tree to be split is currently in the ground, can it be dug up and split all in the same year or is this considered too much for the tree?

Thanks in advance for your comments/advice.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will heal faster in the ground, and splitting and repotting at the same time is too much. Springtime as the buds swell would be my preferred time to do something like this.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My only concern is that it will be hard to get the desired angle in the bend with the tree in the ground. So maybe I will dig it, let it go for the rest of the year and try it next season.

I'm going to want to chop it as well by well. What do you think is the best order? Dig, Chop, split? Dig, Split, chop?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It will heal faster in the ground, and splitting and repotting at the same time is too much. Springtime as the buds swell would be my preferred time to do something like this.

Never done it but if I agree with Dave and that is how I would do it if I ever attempt it.

Two weeks ago, I actually did a somewhat related technique on a 4.5" straight trunk elm to create the illusion of taper...not sure if it will survive the trauma I subjected it to but if it does, it will be posted here before summer. ;)

My plan was good but skipped several important steps on my execution :( and it could spell failure. I will try again even if it fails though.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My only concern is that it will be hard to get the desired angle in the bend with the tree in the ground. So maybe I will dig it, let it go for the rest of the year and try it next season.

I'm going to want to chop it as well by well. What do you think is the best order? Dig, Chop, split? Dig, Split, chop?

Me, I'll chop, dig, split.

I always chop first before digging. ;)

Top Bottom