Japanese Maple

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Some of you are familiar with this Maple. Cut down, trunk choped nursery tree.

Attachments

• ChiMaple2005B.Photo.jpg
    ChiMaple2005B.Photo.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Vance,

An attractive tree. Since it was a nursery tree is it a named variety or just Acer palmatum? Also how big was it before the chop. Thanks

Norm

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Vance,

Wonderful Maple. I like it very much, and that is prrof that nursery material can become a good bonsai! Thanks for posting!

Jason

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Vance, whats the specs on this tree?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
As far as I know it is just Ace Palmatum. It has wonderful spring and fall color and dark green summer foliage. This tree was over six foot tall before the chop. It was harvested from an abandoned nursery. I picked up the stump from a seller in Chicago in 1994? or there about.

This is a picture of the tree in fall color, from a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• ChMp10-23-01.jpg
    ChMp10-23-01.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a soft spot in my heart for Japanese Maples. I lost a big Iseli maple when we moved to Orange County - it just couldn't make the change from -20 degrees to 60 degrees. This maple looks really nice. One of the things I like about maples is watching them mature from this green stick thing to a lumpy aged trunk. I just picked up 15 2-3 year old grafts to play with. Can hardly wait for Spring :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, how is this maple doing???

It is budding out a little slow this year because the winter was so cold, below zero a couple of times, and the spring has been so cold. This morning the temperature was 39 degrees F. But it is doing as well as can be expected.

I have an update on the cultivar identification: Someone I know who specializes in the cultivation of J. Maples in the nursery trade has identified it as Beni Kawa. That works for me.

This is the tree as of last summer.

Attachments

• ChiMapleBeneKawa08.jpg
    ChiMapleBeneKawa08.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, whats the specs on this tree?

Sorry Tom, I seem to have lost track of this thread. The tree is about 24" tall from the soil level. The pot it is in now I obtained from Juliam Adams last year in Grand Rapids at the All State Show. I had the tree tentitively identified as Ben Kawa by someone in the nursery trade who specialize in J. Maples.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love it! Thanks for posting.

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Emil,

'Deshojo' can be grown from cuttings, just as most JM cultivars can. There are a rather long list of things that must be had to be able to consistently root them, but they can and do root from cuttings. I suggest you email Brent for the specifics, as there are simply too many to list here.

Another viable, and faster option is to air-layer. Bonsai 4 Me has a good article with a JM as an example, and there are undoubtedly other articles written about airlayering as well. As well as all of this, there are several threads here about rooting JMs from cuttings and airlayering. I suggest you search for those and see what you can learn.

Emil Brannstrom

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ty, David!

I tried one cutting from a another cultivar last year but it just calloused over without producing a single root. Somewhat disappointing but then again I can't say I gave the whole project a fair chance at succeeding. Anyway, I found a nursery deshojo today (pencil thick with a horrible graft) and since I don't have anything better to do...

Regards
Emil

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm so conflected about telling you what a nice tree that is or telling it you it sucks and if it was my tree it priority mail it to me right back to me at my expense, just to get it off my benches for a few days, that I don't know what to say.

Nice tree!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is budding out a little slow this year because the winter was so cold, below zero a couple of times, and the spring has been so cold. This morning the temperature was 39 degrees F. But it is doing as well as can be expected.

I have an update on the cultivar identification: Someone I know who specializes in the cultivation of J. Maples in the nursery trade has identified it as Beni Kawa. That works for me.

This is the tree as of last summer.
I lost this tree to a very severe stretch of below zero weather four years ago, along with my Japanese Red Pine.

Top Bottom