Japanese Maples in Colorado Springs?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can you successfully grow japanese maple bonsai in Colorado, specifically the Springs area?

Its not set in stone or anything, but It is possible that I may be moving back there within the next year. The reason I ask about maples, is I remember when I lived there that it was super dry, cold, and windy. I even had bad rashes from the dryness. This is quite the opposite of what Japanese maples prefer and I dont think I could live without them. They are in my top 3 favorite species for bonsai.

Anywho, I talk alot, so to summarize:

A) Can you grow japanese maple bonsai in Colorado?
B) If so, what kind of set-up is needed?

Thanks,

Joe

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only with a green house. On the other hand, its a great place for pine, fir (including Douglas fir), and spruce!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Only with a green house. On the other hand, its a great place for pine, fir (including Douglas fir), and spruce!
I am not a huge fan of conifers other than larch and pines.

But then again I have never had a spruce before!

How would you grow maples in a greenhouse?

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In the winter, the greenhouse would act as a sort of cold frame in which to keep the maples sheltered from the harsh conditions, while still as cool as possible (but not too far below freezing). With the wild temperature fluctuations experienced in this area, it might be a challenge to keep a greenhouse from getting too warm during sunny winter days in the 50s and 60s. I would probably go for a well-built cold frame with a space heater set to kick on when temperatures fall bellow a certain level (22-28F?). A cold frame built into the ground might help keep humidity a little higher too so the trees don't dry out so quickly.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They might do well greenhouse grown in the summer in Colorado Springs, with the addition of a smaller capacity air conditioning unit and a good humidifier. Depends on how much time and money is available to put toward the project.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are quite a few people who grow Japanese maples in Colorado. I'm not entirely sure about CO Springs in particular, but I don't think it would be an issue. We have club members here in Wyoming who have had them for 20+ years now, and our climate is worse than Springs would be.

The most basic set up that works here is to winter the trees in an unheated garage with some added insulation from the cold. Then protect from wind and good morning sunlight during the summer is optimal, but any sunlight works as long as you protect them during the hottest part of the day.

Check out the Rocky Mountain Bonsai Society for more specific advice. http://www.rockymtnbonsai.org/

Top Bottom