Japanese maples - questions

Mimstrel

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have some questions about Japanese maples. I'm fascinated by them. In fact, my first act as a homeowner this spring was to plant a lovely Japanese maple in my side yard. That one is a landscape tree, not something that I intend to use for bonsai. It's a trademarked variety but not sure if it's patented so not sure if I'm allowed to air layer it or use cuttings.

Anyway, I'd like to put in some grow boxes and grow some cultivars for bonsai, and I'm wondering if I can get some rooted cuttings or even grafted stock (that I can air layer off of as it grows) and plant it in the fall. If so... when is the latest I could plant? I live in zone 5 in eastern Iowa. Would the end of September be too late? I'm going to be out of the country for part of September and I don't want to be worrying about new maples and whether they're doing okay.

Otherwise I suppose I can wait for spring. If I must. ;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait for spring

There is no plant police. Your tree is OK to take all the cuttings or layers you want. You can even take the cuttings and sell them and no one will come knocking on your door and demand you cease and desist.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Too late in the year for air-layering maples. Get them strong and healthy for the spring.

Don't worry about trademarked cultivars unless you are planning on going commercial with 10,000 cuttings. Generally speaking, the commercial nursery trade produces these in so many thousands they don't worry about individual propagators - as long as you don't try to set up a competitive business with their cultivars.

Top Bottom