Japanese Maples that Root from Cuttings

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the benefit of all B nutters, self included, I would love to have here a list of Japanese Maples that others have success in rooting from either cuttings or air layers. As a logical starting point it was suggested that all of the maples listed at Evergreen Gardenworks are rooted. So I thank Pitoon for the suggestion and Brent for the hard work establishing the baseline. These are those maples listed.

A. palmatum seedlings
A. palmatum (small leaf dwarf)
A. palmatum (small leaf, small seed)
A. palmatum (Ryusen seedlings)
A. palmatum 'Ao Kanzashi'
A. palmatum 'Bloodgood'
A. palmatum 'Burgundy Lace'
A. palmatum 'Butterfly'
A. palmatum 'Coonaria Pygmy',
A. palmatum 'Fall Gold'
A. palmatum 'Ibo Nishiki'
A. palmatum 'Inabe Shidare'
A. palmatum 'Karasugawa'
A. palmatum 'Katsura'
A. palmatum 'Kiyohime'
A. palmatum 'Mure Hibari'
A. palmatum 'Novum'
A. palmatum atropurpureum 'Nuresagi'
A. palmatum 'Orido Nishiki'
A. palmatum 'Pixie'
A. palmatum 'Ryusen'
A. palmatum 'Sazanami'
A. palmatum 'Seiryu'
A. palmatum 'Shindeshojo'
A. palmatum 'Shishio Improved'
A. palmatum 'Whitney Red''
A. palmatum 'Yuri Hime'

If you have experienced even a modicum of success rooting JM, please share your experiences. And please include any details relevant. As an example, a recent post suggests "Orange Dream"as being relatively easy but no details are given. To be fair, the post was not about propagating.

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had success with rooting sharps pygmy really easy. Koto Maru relatively easy. Pic attached is the Koto Maru. I just used a modified method of Canada Bonsai’s document on cuttings. I have layered Deshojos, Ukon, Orange dream, Koto Maru, Shishigashira, Katsura and kiyohime.

Attachments

• C6EA44F2-1AB0-4BDE-8F6F-5619BE5EFF51.png
    C6EA44F2-1AB0-4BDE-8F6F-5619BE5EFF51.png
    344.4 KB · Views: 250

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Below are the ones I have and if I have been able to strike or layer. The only ones I am not confident can be done that I have tried are Shigitatsusawa and Bihou. The Bihou I have only tried smaller ones but they died above the layer point twice. Please note most of these cuttings and layers are in the last couple of years so I can't tell you if they are strong on their own roots yet. Not many issues thusfar. If you want a general set of rules I struggle with the larger leaf ones the most. I find the dwarfs are very easy. I don't have professional setup but do use a mister every 4 hours in the summer underneath a long bonsai table. Also, I don't take many cuttings, often times it will only be 5-10 at a time. Sometimes just one.

CultivarCuttingLayerNotes
Akaji nishikiYY
Akita YatsubusaYY
Allen's GoldHave Not Tried
Amagi shigureHave Not Tried
Ao KanzashiYY
AoyagiY
ArakawaYY
Baton RougueYY
Beni ChidoriHave Not Tried
Beni himeFailed Cuttings
Beni MaikoYY
Beni tsukasaYY
BihouFailed Cuttings and Layer
BloodgoodYY
BonfireYY
Caperci DwarfYY
Chiri himeHave Not Tried
Chiyo himeY
ChugujiHave Not Tried
Coonaria pygmyY
Coral MagicHave Not Tried
Coral PinkHave Not Tried
CorallinumYCuttings struck but died
DeshojoYY
Deshojo nishikiY
Dixie DelightYCuttings Failed
EiminiFailed Cuttings
HigasayamaYY
Hime shojoPlant Died
Hino tori nishikiHave Not Tried
HogyukoFailed Cuttings
Hubble's SupercorkYY
Ibo juhiYY
Ibo NishikiY
IchigyoFailed Cuttings
Iso chidoriHave Not Tried
Issai NishikiYY
JewelsY
Johnnie's SeedlingYY
KamagataYY
Karahawa roseY
KarasugawaYY
KashimaYY
KatsuraYY
Katsura himeYY
Ki hachijoHave Not Tried
Kiyo HimeYY
Ko chidoriY
Komanche himeY
KotohimeY
Kureani jishiHave Not Tried
Kuro himeHave Not Tried
Lima goldY
Mikawa yatsubusaY
Murasaki kiyohimeYY
Mure hibariY
Nishiki GawaYY
Nishiki ShoYY
Nishiki yamatoYY
Odd ottoHave Not Tried
OkushimoYY
Olsen's frosted strawberryYHave Not Tried
Orange DreamYY
OsakazukiFailed Cuttings
Otome zakuraY
Peaches and CreamYY
Rhode Island RedY
Ruslyn in the pinkHave Not Tried
Ryoku ryuHave Not Tried
RyusenY
SaihoYY
Sango kakuYY
SazanamiYY
Scarlet WonderYY
SeigenYY
Seigen AureumYY
Seigen rubrumYY
SeiryuYY
Sekka yatsubusaHave Not Tried
Sharp's pygmyYY
ShigitatsusawaFailed Cuttings and Layer
Shin ChishioYY
ShindeshojoYY
ShishigashiraYY
Shishio himeHave Not Tried
Tsuma gakiY
Twombley's Red SentinelY
Ueno HomareYY
VersicolorHave Not Tried
Wilson's pink dwarfHave Not Tried
Yama himeHave Not Tried
Yuri HimeYY

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Below are the ones I have and if I have been able to strike or layer. The only ones I am not confident can be done that I have tried are Shigitatsusawa and Bihou. The Bihou I have only tried smaller ones but they died above the layer point twice. Please note most of these cuttings and layers are in the last couple of years so I can't tell you if they are strong on their own roots yet. Not many issues thusfar. If you want a general set of rules I struggle with the larger leaf ones the most. I find the dwarfs are very easy. I don't have professional setup but do use a mister every 4 hours in the summer underneath a long bonsai table. Also, I don't take many cuttings, often times it will only be 5-10 at a time. Sometimes just one.

CultivarCuttingLayerNotes
Akaji nishikiYY
Akita YatsubusaYY
Allen's GoldHave Not Tried
Amagi shigureHave Not Tried
Ao KanzashiYY
AoyagiY
ArakawaYY
Baton RougueYY
Beni ChidoriHave Not Tried
Beni himeFailed Cuttings
Beni MaikoYY
Beni tsukasaYY
BihouFailed Cuttings and Layer
BloodgoodYY
BonfireYY
Caperci DwarfYY
Chiri himeHave Not Tried
Chiyo himeY
ChugujiHave Not Tried
Coonaria pygmyY
Coral MagicHave Not Tried
Coral PinkHave Not Tried
CorallinumYCuttings struck but died
DeshojoYY
Deshojo nishikiY
Dixie DelightYCuttings Failed
EiminiFailed Cuttings
HigasayamaYY
Hime shojoPlant Died
Hino tori nishikiHave Not Tried
HogyukoFailed Cuttings
Hubble's SupercorkYY
Ibo juhiYY
Ibo NishikiY
IchigyoFailed Cuttings
Iso chidoriHave Not Tried
Issai NishikiYY
JewelsY
Johnnie's SeedlingYY
KamagataYY
Karahawa roseY
KarasugawaYY
KashimaYY
KatsuraYY
Katsura himeYY
Ki hachijoHave Not Tried
Kiyo HimeYY
Ko chidoriY
Komanche himeY
KotohimeY
Kureani jishiHave Not Tried
Kuro himeHave Not Tried
Lima goldY
Mikawa yatsubusaY
Murasaki kiyohimeYY
Mure hibariY
Nishiki GawaYY
Nishiki ShoYY
Nishiki yamatoYY
Odd ottoHave Not Tried
OkushimoYY
Olsen's frosted strawberryYHave Not Tried
Orange DreamYY
OsakazukiFailed Cuttings
Otome zakuraY
Peaches and CreamYY
Rhode Island RedY
Ruslyn in the pinkHave Not Tried
Ryoku ryuHave Not Tried
RyusenY
SaihoYY
Sango kakuYY
SazanamiYY
Scarlet WonderYY
SeigenYY
Seigen AureumYY
Seigen rubrumYY
SeiryuYY
Sekka yatsubusaHave Not Tried
Sharp's pygmyYY
ShigitatsusawaFailed Cuttings and Layer
Shin ChishioYY
ShindeshojoYY
ShishigashiraYY
Shishio himeHave Not Tried
Tsuma gakiY
Twombley's Red SentinelY
Ueno HomareYY
VersicolorHave Not Tried
Wilson's pink dwarfHave Not Tried
Yama himeHave Not Tried
Yuri HimeYY
Awesome 👍🏻. How difficult was Seigen Aureum to get the cuttings to root? I am going to try this spring and was curious, if you can share. Thank you

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thanks for sharing!

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Awesome 👍🏻. How difficult was Seigen Aureum to get the cuttings to root? I am going to try this spring and was curious, if you can share. Thank you
Probably average. My mother plant is pretty small so I have taken very few and currently only have 1 or 2. I had no issues layering. It is not as vigorous as Seigen or Seigen Rubrum though so I will have to monitor. It is striking in the spring with the yellow. One of my favorites.

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably average. My mother plant is pretty small so I have taken very few and currently only have 1 or 2. I had no issues layering. It is not as vigorous as Seigen or Seigen Rubrum though so I will have to monitor. It is striking in the spring with the yellow. One of my favorites.
Yes, i wasn’t aware of the cultivar then @clem got me interested in it. It looks like an amazing tree.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Root well from cutting in my experience & proven to be appropriate for bonsai:
  • Arakawa & Yves' Arakawa
  • Beni Chidori
  • Deshojo & Shin Deshojo
  • Kashima
  • Katsura
  • Kiyo Hime
  • Koto Hime
  • Yves' Select

Difficult to root in my experience (and known to be difficult to root) & proven to be appropriate for bonsai:
  • Seigen
  • Shishigashira (Momiji-en seems to have got some cuttings to root, but it remains to be seen how they do next spring; looking promising: https://www.instagram.com/momiji.en/)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Response / info traded has been fantastic. Its going to be an interesting spring.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Root well from cutting in my experience & proven to be appropriate for bonsai:
  • Arakawa & Yves' Arakawa
  • Beni Chidori
  • Deshojo & Shin Deshojo
  • Kashima
  • Katsura
  • Kiyo Hime
  • Koto Hime
  • Yves' Select

Difficult to root in my experience (and known to be difficult to root) & proven to be appropriate for bonsai:
  • Seigen
  • Shishigashira (Momiji-en seems to have got some cuttings to root, but it remains to be seen how they do next spring; looking promising: https://www.instagram.com/momiji.en/)
Interesting. I have no issues with Seigen or Shishigashira at all. One of the easier ones for me except I don't have enough material to propagate a lot (so I could just be lucky). I have definitely read they are difficult though. I really struggle with Shin Deshojo. They root at a lower % but then a few more die within the year. I have a few still. Deshojo is not the easiest for me either but better. Ironic since Shin Deshojo literally means 'improved Deshojo'. Kashima, Kiyo Hime, and Koto Hime are the absolute easiest. I would say Kiyo Hime is close to 100% for me.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Interesting. I have no issues with Seigen or Shishigashira at all. One of the easier ones for me except I don't have enough material to propagate a lot (so I could just be lucky). I have definitely read they are difficult though. I really struggle with Shin Deshojo. They root at a lower % but then a few more die within the year. I have a few still. Deshojo is not the easiest for me either but better. Ironic since Shin Deshojo literally means 'improved Deshojo'. Kashima, Kiyo Hime, and Koto Hime are the absolute easiest. I would say Kiyo Hime is close to 100% for me.

Oh that's great to hear, very exciting!

Which shishigashira are you working with? O Jishi, Meijishi, or both? (link below) Are you taking cuttings May-June and current year's growth? Are you doing anything differently for Shishigashira?

Are you sure that you have 'seigen'? (I attached an image from Meriggioli). I'm only asking because there are a few strains in North America being distributed as 'Seigen', which are not in fact 'Seigen' (long story). I am wondering because even in Japan where they have been working with 'Seigen' for a VERY long time, grafting is the preferred method and I have heard many times that cuttings are 'impossible' or 'very difficult'. I have been searching for Seigen in Japan for a few years, literally at +100 nurseries/sellers, and have never found one that was not grafted whenever I happen to find one at all (they are rare!) -- they have largely been replaced by Deshojo. Are you doing anything different/special for your Seigen cuttings compared to other cultivars? Are you taking cuttings May-June and current year's growth?

Attachments

• deshojo, seigen, beni chidori.jpg
    deshojo, seigen, beni chidori.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 246

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can also confirm Bihou will not root by cuttings or air layer at least for me it didn't two seasons in a row.

Shishigashira I have gotten to air layer, but not root by cuttings.

No luck either on Garnet or Viridis on either method.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh that's great to hear, very exciting!

Which shishigashira are you working with? O Jishi, Meijishi, or both? (link below) Are you taking cuttings May-June and current year's growth? Are you doing anything differently for Shishigashira?

Are you sure that you have 'seigen'? (I attached an image from Meriggioli). I'm only asking because there are a few strains in North America being distributed as 'Seigen', which are not in fact 'Seigen' (long story). I am wondering because even in Japan where they have been working with 'Seigen' for a VERY long time, grafting is the preferred method and I have heard many times that cuttings are 'impossible' or 'very difficult'. I have been searching for Seigen in Japan for a few years, literally at +100 nurseries/sellers, and have never found one that was not grafted whenever I happen to find one at all (they are rare!) -- they have largely been replaced by Deshojo. Are you doing anything different/special for your Seigen cuttings compared to other cultivars? Are you taking cuttings May-June and current year's growth?
I got the Seigen from a very reputable Maple (not bonsai) nursery that has over 500 cultivars. They get most scion material from a huge nursery in the Netherlands called Esveld or something like that. I can’t swear it is of course only that the source is trusted in the maple community. Seigen is sometimes confused with Bonfire which is also confused with or thought to be Akaji Nishiki or Seigai. Valnvannis also had said the same about Seigen and I have read Merriogli book.

They say the same about Shishigashira too but I have had no issues with it and it is unlikely it is confused with another cultivar. As you called out there is a YouTube video of someone doing them with a high success rate. I think some things differ based on luck or regurgitating past information. The few sources I have found on cuttings tell you Bloodgood is the easiest and I struggle a lot. Same with Ozakasuki. I also suspect there are translation issues similar to people thinking they will have a world class shohin JBP is 6 years :). I also have struck Japanese Beech cutting too and they are impossible (but not high percentage at all)

On my setup, cuttings are when I prune but June is typically the time. I have done them (in general) even as they leaf out or late summer. I don’t use bottom heat. I have a long table and strike my cuttings underneath it. I have a mister/fogger underneath that goes off for 2 minutes every 4 hours during the summer. It is possible the Georgia hot humid summers comes in handy for once. Soil I have used tons of mixes but old akadama / pumice or straight pumice works best. Other soil would work but would stay to wet with my mister. Setup is all cheap and from dripworks so not a professional setup. Maybe 75-100 bucks with the timer being 40 of it.

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I did get cuttings from a Bloodgood to root, but still no air layers.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Which shishigashira are you working with? O Jishi, Meijishi, or both? (link below)
Meijishi - most of them are. most of the time O jishi is treated as a separate cultivar and Meijishi and Shishigashira are synonomous. Oddly enough, it is one of my least favorite cultivars despite its popularity in both maple and bonsai circles. The beauty of maples to me is the delicate wispy foliage and that is not a feature for Shishigashira.

Top Bottom