Japanese maples Trunk taper help!

Reaction score
Okay. So Im pretty sure theses are Japanese maples ( the guy who i purchased it from didn't day). However, I wanted to see if anybody who visually show me where the best place to taper the trunk would be. My current goal with these maples is to start growing a better trunk. So if im gunna chop em' down to size( cuze they are way too tall ) , where to I begin? at what branch? Should I just leave the stump and the lowest branch.? Thanks for advice...

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 114
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 117
  • unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 112

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just be aware that when you chop, the first section will slow dramatically (or even stop) in it's thickening, so you should only make the first chop when the lowest part of the trunk is at or near the final diameter you envision for the tree . . . it might help to know a bit about leaf size and internode lengths before making those proportion/design decisions.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're asking a lot of very basic questions that you should have a good understanding of before you start planning on chopping and such. It may be helpful for you to purchase a book to get those basics down first and then ask for some guidance. One of the best books to start with is John Naka's Bonsai Techniques I. You will find it very helpful. Good luck.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Please see (and actually read) all the posts on all of your other threads for guidance. It is clear you solicit advice but are determined to ignore it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's like cannon bombing into a body of water feet first...best know how to swim before you hit the water. Same with a chop...or you will KICK yourself later down the road when you come to realize you lost major potential by flying by the seat of one's pants.

You need to understand the fundamentals before taking the next step with these. But...let me give you some advice. You mentioned having limited space...research bonsai you may wish to aquire some day...before going in blind just buying to buy. Speaking from personal experience...I have a small number I don't wish to exceed. (I say 20...but realisticly setting it at 25.) I have calculated each purchase...reseaching and finding my way. I look over my bench and I'm pleased with the reeled in direction I have taken. You bought two trees...you assume are JM. The seller didn't say...and you didn't apparently ask. Think on that for a momment...that's going in somewhat blind. Stacking the deck in ones favor offers a higher success rate.
Good luck to you! And I do mean that.

Reaction score
I suspect these are grafted. I'd figure that out before doing anything.
Wait,,, off topic question. But if a tree is lets say " previously trunk grafted" does that mean you cant taper the trunk? ( im only asking for another tree I have )

Reaction score
It's like cannon bombing into a body of water feet first...best know how to swim before you hit the water. Same with a chop...or you will KICK yourself later down the road when you come to realize you lost major potential by flying by the seat of one's pants.

You need to understand the fundamentals before taking the next step with these. But...let me give you some advice. You mentioned having limited space...research bonsai you may wish to aquire some day...before going in blind just buying to buy. Speaking from personal experience...I have a small number I don't wish to exceed. (I say 20...but realisticly setting it at 25.) I have calculated each purchase...reseaching and finding my way. I look over my bench and I'm pleased with the reeled in direction I have taken. You bought two trees...you assume are JM. The seller didn't say...and you didn't apparently ask. Think on that for a momment...that's going in somewhat blind. Stacking the deck in ones favor offers a higher success rate.
Good luck to you! And I do mean that.

Well I wasnt guessing. I know they are JM by how they look.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait,,, off topic question. But if a tree is lets say " previously trunk grafted" does that mean you cant taper the trunk? ( im only asking for another tree I have )

If you chop below the graft it will be a regular J maple that sprouts.
If it sprouts.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And not these two which appear to be,how is that off topic. No concern for these two,but another that maybe...anyone else find humor in that!?!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Trunk chopping a grafted tree may mean you lose the grafted portion entirely or you get shoots from both the root stock and the graft. You can create taper with anything by chopping, given enough time...there just may be more consequences to a chop.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They don't look like JM to me either. The bark is all wrong. What the are though, no idea until we can see some leaves.

Although they almost look like young birch trees or maybe aspen?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although they almost look like young birch trees
That was my thought too But then I noticed the graft marks.. Not heard of birch being grafted..

Growing good taper is a long process and requires a decent amount of knowledge on how the specific species will respond to chopping, closing wounds etc. Become a member of a club I would say. There you will get access to better material than you are showing, probably for less money too..

Top Bottom