Japanese pine seedling care

S.C.garden

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a question and though I have searched the forums to see if I could find an exact answere without success though I swear at some point in past browsing I've read it and can't recall what folks had said-

I've got some japanese pine seedlings in coastal so. Cal, (zone 10b?), planted in a seedling tray with a plastic cover. The substrate is acadama/ pumice/ lava with seeds layed out on top and a thin layer of silica sand covering the seeds. How dry should I allow the sand to get before re-wetting? Should I be letting the course under layer dry out to some extent as well? It stays pretty moist with the cover on, and I can only ventilate occasionally as the last batch I sprouted were not covered and something feasted on them as the plants popped up. Thanks for any advice!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey all, I've got a question and though I have searched the forums to see if I could find an exact answere without success though I swear at some point in past browsing I've read it and can't recall what folks had said-

I've got some japanese pine seedlings in coastal so. Cal, (zone 10b?), planted in a seedling tray with a plastic cover. The substrate is acadama/ pumice/ lava with seeds layed out on top and a thin layer of silica sand covering the seeds. How dry should I allow the sand to get before re-wetting? Should I be letting the course under layer dry out to some extent as well? It stays pretty moist with the cover on, and I can only ventilate occasionally as the last batch I sprouted were not covered and something feasted on them as the plants popped up. Thanks for any advice!

I would let the sand dry out, but I wouldn't let the APL layer dry out. If you leave a takeout chopstick sticking out of the substrate, you can pull it out from time to time like a dipstick to test moisture levels below the surface of the soil.

S.C.garden

Seedling
Reaction score
I would let the sand dry out, but I wouldn't let the APL layer dry out. If you leave a takeout chopstick sticking out of the substrate, you can pull it out from time to time like a dipstick to test moisture levels below the surface of the soil.
I appreciate your advice, thank you!

S.C.garden

Seedling
Reaction score
Are those able to survive in zone 10b? White pines need a fairly cold dormant period
From the conversations I've had, the general concensus seems to be probably not, but possibly. We have a local bonsai garden with a white pine on display in it although a grafted example, and I've heard there are folks in similar climate zones that were able to grow them successfully when started from seed so I figured I'd give it a go and see what happens.

Top Bottom