Japanese quince “Texas scarlet”

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
This quince is having major issues. I’m wondering if it picked up a fungus. I have been treating once a week with daconil since the leaves started showing issues. They all turned yellow and had red and brown spots. It almost appeared to be a nutrient deficiency. I was thinking it was a potassium deficiency since I have a high red iron count in my water which leads me to believe that over time it causes my soil to become basic. So I added sulfur to the soil as well after the symptoms seemed to have not cleared up. New leaves emerge white and light pink and stay that color well into maturity without turning green. Anyone have any thoughts?F4752D74-C86D-4CBA-B36B-334FE1709ECB.jpeg252C05AE-24B3-4A55-8A1B-E0A0C14924B9.jpeg9B9BC3E0-F49B-48DE-A992-9A159340BFBD.jpeg932AAE03-7744-4B07-9A18-3B32F96E2693.jpeg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have some Japanese maple seedlings that have started to put out leaves very similar to how those white leaves on your quince look. I did not notice any clear fungal diseases. The potting mix I started them in was staying very wet for too long, I put DE fines in it as an experiment. Not doing that again lol. So the obvious assumption was that it had something to do with that, but I don’t know. I repotted them into a better bonsai mix so we’ll see if that helps.

Here is the thread I started for those, you can see the pics I took to see if it reminds you of your issue. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/“ghost”-leaves-on-jm-need-help.34385/

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
(1) I don't think it is fungus. Point damage like that indicates insects.

(2) That pale white foliage suggests bad soil / pH. I don't know if you have the ability to test your soil (or the soil in the container) but it may be basic - potentially with high sodium. I would highly recommend you try an acid fertilizer - Miracid or similar. It doesn't matter how much iron you have in your soil if the pH is too high to allow your plant to absorb it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Make sure you are using water that has not gone through a water softener. Most softeners use sodium chloride (salt) to replace the calcium. That could in time give you these symptoms. Depending on how the home was plumbed, usually outdoors spigots are before the softener, but sometimes not. Take a look.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, if you are on municipal water you could have problems. Some cities start with really poor water and add chemicals such as chlorine to sanitize it. Other cities like Flint Michigan just go ahead and send it out polluted.

Top Bottom