Japanese quince-Lost my autumn window to repot

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
So autumn is past, winter (mild this year we guess) has arrived and...
I didn't repot my quince which is sitting in this ugly plastics training pot and...
It is blooming right now!
So I guess I will have to wait till September (Springtime here) otherwise I will miss it again. Question is, should I prune it back in the winter before repotting even if it is full of leaves and flowering?
20200701_135512.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I only do repots in the fall.

Darlene yours is a real beauty! And is goes soooo well with the light blue pot...
Yeap, in fact I am really concerned about repotting it in the Spring. But on the other hand I wish others have different happy stories about spring potting quinces, so let's wait and see.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene yours is a real beauty! And is goes soooo well with the light blue pot...
Yeap, in fact I am really concerned about repotting it in the Spring. But on the other hand I wish others have different happy stories about spring potting quinces, so let's wait and see.
Well...was, past tense. But thank you.
Wish you the best. With whichever you choose.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In your climate, I would not be afraid to repot quince any time during you "dormant" season, as quince are semi-deciduous and you do no get freezing temperatures.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I only do repots in the fall. Lost my cascade to pathogens. I will never repot in spring again. It's less risk in fall for that to happen.

I will never repot in spring again. That's me though. Wish you the best.
View attachment 312920
Do you mean this about all repots or quince?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I pulled mine out of a growing bed in feb.
it was flowering by march. Wired then too.

Reminds me. I need to check the wire. Hidden somewhere between all the suckers this throws up.

Mine is not as pretty as Darlenes.
Sigh. Same story every time.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I repot my J. Quinces in the spring with no problems.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ooops! Sorry, I didn't realize you've lost this one in the picture... a pity.
With the advice of others when it was dying from pathegons...was to repot quince in the fall. Less risk of things like this happening. I've done that ever since. This one was raw nursery stock I had developed. So it sucked to lose it. I was a spring potting person until this happened. If it lowers my risk...then fall it is for me. But, as Brian says...he's not had any issues with spring repots. So you have to decide what's best for you. Wish you the best either or on your decision. Just wanted to toss out my personal experience.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm glad to hear that.

Many advised me to do Fall. I know the directions from Brent was fall for my cuttings as well that came last spring.
So this tree is dead now? Wonder if Spring repotting would have made the difference...🤔

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I pulled mine out of a growing bed in feb.
it was flowering by march. Wired then too.

Reminds me. I need to check the wire. Hidden somewhere between all the suckers this throws up.

Mine is not as pretty as Darlenes.
Sigh. Same story every time.
lol...anything is prettier than a dead tree. I lost this to pathogens. Which is why I now do fall repots on only quince. Early fall...

Top Bottom