Japanese Quince Nursery Find

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Japanese Quince nursery find. Just don’t know what flower it is, they don’t remember it’s been all alone. Should I snag it ? Could be a cool clump , got older wood already too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 203

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well I purchased it for 10 pretty good deal. Now to figure out what to do next, as I’m new to Quince but have been reading up on late summer / fall repotting but those professionals that discuss it are not in my zone. If not I wait till spring 😊 I’ll take it to the studio tom.

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! I love quince. The flowers are just my absolute favorite. They can be a little finicky but I love them anyway :)

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice find! The trunk structure doesn't look all that great to me but then again I have an irrational dislike for anything which isn't a single trunk design :p

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice find! The trunk structure doesn't look all that great to me but then again I have an irrational dislike for anything which isn't a single trunk design :p
They have the propensity to grow as a clump style since they produce new shoots that bark up quickly along the base .

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wire those branches when they are mere shoots. As you yourself pointed out, they grow multi-trunk, and it is hard to get any girth on a single trunk. They throw straight growth, and if you don't wire early, you'll be regretting it.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wire those branches when they are mere shoots. As you yourself pointed out, they grow multi-trunk, and it is hard to get any girth on a single trunk. They throw straight growth, and if you don't wire early, you'll be regretting it.
Yeah, just figuring out what all those late summer / fall repotting techniques vs spring.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wouldn't worry about repotting a healthy plant at this time of year. Cut down the nursery pot with an x-acto knife so you can see what you're dealing with. Scrape away the soil until you reveal the root flare at the base. You can clean up crazy growth and open up the structure, somewhat, but at this time of year in Penn I wouldn't expect that you could prune it hard and it would push new growth and recover by fall.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, just figuring out what all those late summer / fall repotting techniques vs spring.

I have done both with quince with no problems. For a complete bare-root and root prune I would do that in spring, personally. I also just up potted a few small chojubai within the last couple of weeks no problem.

I agree with BNut that you could probably repot this one now if you want. Spring is also great. Some advise against spring for due to some sort of damaging nematode or disease, but I don’t believe that applies in all locations and I have not had that problem.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wouldn't worry about repotting a healthy plant at this time of year. Cut down the nursery pot with an x-acto knife so you can see what you're dealing with. Scrape away the soil until you reveal the root flare at the base. You can clean up crazy growth and open up the structure, somewhat, but at this time of year in Penn I wouldn't expect that you could prune it hard and it would push new growth and recover by fall.
Thanks for the tip. I also have the option put into a green house if I need to as well.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have done both with quince with no problems. For a complete bare-root and root prune I would do that in spring, personally. I also just up potted a few small chojubai within the last couple of weeks no problem.

I agree with BNut that you could probably repot this one now if you want. Spring is also great. Some advise against spring for due to some sort of damaging nematode or disease, but I don’t believe that applies in all locations and I have not had that problem.
Did you get yours from Evergreen? I just placed a order for other stuff last week lol that shipping cost is just killer out to me for only one item.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a couple Japanese quince “O Yashima” and “Contorted Peach” from evergreen gardenworks that I repotted last august or September and they are doing well!

I also have some red and white chojubai from BVF here and from Julian Adams. And a nursery stock “Texas Scarlet.”

They are addicting to collect the different cultivars/flowers 😆

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Just started a thread for mine, you’ll see what I managed to do in a single season. Cut back hard and wire the new shoots early. Then just repeat the cut backs and wiring a few times each season 👍🏻

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Going to shelter this for winter in studio greenhouse just to see how it responds.

Attachments

• 746DD418-0A0C-4460-B6AE-1421A831A5C2.jpeg
    746DD418-0A0C-4460-B6AE-1421A831A5C2.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 118
  • 3B206A56-A45D-463A-8A31-AD444E924F6D.jpeg
    3B206A56-A45D-463A-8A31-AD444E924F6D.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 122

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So I bare rooted and cut the root back hard to reset this as a clump with that main leader. Buds are starting to form so it’s doing well. Interested in seeing what the flowers / future holds for the this little quince.. also tried some root cuttings as well.

Attachments

• 85E4D522-A4BF-4A63-8722-12E83544D26F.jpeg
    85E4D522-A4BF-4A63-8722-12E83544D26F.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 117

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It’s gotta heal some cuts and elongate popping buds but It’s great seeing the quince respond well.. especially with the apex all alive.. gonna be a neat little shohin one day

Attachments

• D6454F5C-EE89-45A8-99E6-186FD16B61CA.jpeg
    D6454F5C-EE89-45A8-99E6-186FD16B61CA.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 67
  • A5769C8B-81ED-409D-B13F-27069C586A9D.jpeg
    A5769C8B-81ED-409D-B13F-27069C586A9D.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 78
Top Bottom