Japanese Quince styling

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I've used alaska fish fertilizer as my fertilizer specifically made to encourage blooms.

Glad to see the interest in quinces and has been a fun thread to follow....:)

bdwarner

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Glad to see the interest in quinces and has been a fun thread to follow....:)

I agree Dick, great thread. I want to try organic ferts on my trees and see how they respond but the city squirrels around here aren't messing around. Ive been finding them digging through my pots more frequently lately. I think organic ferts might make it even worse. Its starting to get frustrating.

Brian those are nice little trees you have there, great movement in the 4 trunk clump. Im wondering how large they actually are. I didn't see them before they went in the ground but it looks like they are quite thick. Impressive for 4 years.. your a more patient man than I am. When your ready to part with that twin trunk shoot me a pm unless you have different plans for it. Did you just photograph them at night with a flash? The pics look nice.

Since my Iwai isn't doing anything besides dropping leaves here are some development pics of my single trunk. Nothing too fancy yet, just growing it out for more options. Got it in 2011, no pics from 2012, then up to this fall. Sorry for a few of the bad quality pics. Im satisfied with its growth this summer, it grew pretty fast and I noticed some of the branches have long 'stretch' cracks running down them, which I think will be really interesting later on down the road. isn't the pot pretty? I really like it with this tree, my girlfriend is a ceramicist and made this for me a while back. I know its too large but I want the tree to grow into it and have plenty of room to grow. Now I just need to convince her to make me more for next spring :D

Attachments

• 2011 summer.jpg
    2011 summer.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 40
  • Quince 2013 (3).jpg
    Quince 2013 (3).jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Quince 2014-2 SPRING.jpg
    Quince 2014-2 SPRING.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Quince 2014-3 SPRING.jpg
    Quince 2014-3 SPRING.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 2014 FALL 4.jpg
    2014 FALL 4.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 46

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cracks might not be a good thing. I've lost woody sections of trunks for no apparent reason, and I'm wondering if I had cracks or other damage which froze, got fungal or other issues, etc. causing the loss. I think Brent mentions flowering apricots as having similar issues.

bdwarner

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not sure what to make of them myself. All my trees woke up right on cue after our last winter here which was about -35 with windchill some days. None of my trees had any die back and started growing and flowering without a hitch. The quince was repotted in addition to all this right before bud break. It looks to my untrained eye to resemble stretch marks. There's no inner layers showing or anything like that. I will take pics tomorrow and maybe a more seasoned grower can give us their opinion.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian those are nice little trees you have there, great movement in the 4 trunk clump. Im wondering how large they actually are. I didn't see them before they went in the ground but it looks like they are quite thick. Impressive for 4 years.. your a more patient man than I am. When your ready to part with that twin trunk shoot me a pm unless you have different plans for it. Did you just photograph them at night with a flash? The pics look nice.
Funny thing, I've actually gotten less patient with material over the years, it's either good to work, or it gets planted and chopped until its worth working with.

On the night pix, it's just a standard camera with flash using the night as the background. Here is another shot with a can for scale. If you want the twin trunk, send me a PM for price and shipping. It's 12" tall, 3" base.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

bdwarner

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The cracks might not be a good thing. I've lost woody sections of trunks for no apparent reason, and I'm wondering if I had cracks or other damage which froze, got fungal or other issues, etc. causing the loss. I think Brent mentions flowering apricots as having similar issues.

Check out the attached photos.

The first 2 pictures are of the biggest one and in the second is a smaller one (which there are a few of on the other smaller branches). Hasn't seemed to be detrimental to the tree. These were not on the tree in spring and have happened slowly throughout the summer. Has anyone encountered this before? Should I be worried?

Also, Brian those trees sure are larger than I thought they would be. Didn't expect that. Great specimens.

Attachments

• 2014 FALL 6.jpg
    2014 FALL 6.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 2014 (2).jpg
    2014 (2).jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 2014.jpg
    2014.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 27

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, cracks in the bark on quince are normal. All of mine have this, but the tree somehow sends the nutrients around it. They also add to the aged appearance.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny thing, I've actually gotten less patient with material over the years, it's either good to work, or it gets planted and chopped until its worth working with.

On the night pix, it's just a standard camera with flash using the night as the background. Here is another shot with a can for scale. If you want the twin trunk, send me a PM for price and shipping. It's 12" tall, 3" base.

Any update guys on this Quince? Please comment about wiring.

Top Bottom