Japanese Red and Black Pines from seed

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Re: the floaters, I had a similar experience. I soaked about 30 seeds overnight and five floated. Instead of throwing them away I dropped them in a thin layer of sand on top of organic mix and all five grew. The rest are in the refrigerator.
That is why I sprout them in baggies, only the rooting ones get put in a pot, I kept the floaters separate so that I could see if any were viable since the JBP seeds are not cheap.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Stone pine certainly does explain it, the seeds are large with the wing and coated in black powder. The mother tree does look different, I will get some pictures. I tried to eat a seed once and it was like a chemical. It does have vertical bark but many branches are down at the bottom, maybe in all the pictures they have been trimmed to a single trunk.
Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned you have to roast them first ;-)

Stone pines we see on images usually live near the shore where they lose most of their lower branches and make a flat top, or they're trimmed that way and used for shade cover.

One thing that really makes them stand out as juveniles is that their needles have tiny drops of resin on them, almost like trichomes. I haven't seen that on any other pine in my life. The needles look like they have tiny hooks or something.

Due to their easy reversion to juvenile foliage, stone pines are very difficult for bonsai. They are pretty versatile and dang hard to kill though!

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned you have to roast them first ;-)

Stone pines we see on images usually live near the shore where they lose most of their lower branches and make a flat top, or they're trimmed that way and used for shade cover.

One thing that really makes them stand out as juveniles is that their needles have tiny drops of resin on them, almost like trichomes. I haven't seen that on any other pine in my life. The needles look like they have tiny hooks or something.

Due to their easy reversion to juvenile foliage, stone pines are very difficult for bonsai. They are pretty versatile and dang hard to kill though!
Thanks for the info, I will have to trim the mother tree again but there are some cones I want so will have to wait till they are brown.
It's pretty amazing the little hairs, when I mist they a ball of water collects like a crystal ball in the center, will have to post a pic.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In case you are thinking about selling some of the JRP seedlings, let me know😜
Yea.I want to see a picture of a red pine seedling cutting.Are they vigorous?
Be suprised what a species of tree can do when you attempt to bring out the full genetic potential.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I give them a go next crop after the big Mikawa’s this winter.Be ready just after Spring or at same time the big Mikawa’s are released in Spring👍

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I've grown a fairly large amount of JRP. The amount of juvenile foliage after two years on yours makes me suspicious of their true origin. So does the size of those seeds..
Mine started with adult needles after the first year. The seeds are a similar size to JBP.

I know three types of pines that take so long to make adult needles: Italian stone pine, halepensis and longaeva. And only one makes huge seeds, which are also edible.

agree, i have some JRPs and the seeds were not large at all. needles very much like the JBP too. I did do the cutting on them just like JBPs and they reacted identically so far but this is year one (~ six months old, all outside).

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
Be suprised what a species of tree can do when you attempt to bring out the full genetic potential.
The Stone Pine seedlings are strange, some cuttings it still just builds 1 tap root from the center, I have been cutting them shorter to see if that helps, lucky my JBP have worked really well since I switched to Hormodin #3, the other hormone I used didn't work.

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you want to see a real freak, this Stone Pine has full grown needles and juvy needles, it's less than a year old. (16 oz beer can added for shock value)

Attachments

• 20200826_141414.jpg
    20200826_141414.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 34

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you're going to love (actual) JRP. They're tough as nails, more vigorous and versatile than JBP. They respond in the same fashion, but JRP gives me two or three times the amount of growth compared to any other pine. They also seem to care less about timing of the candle cutting, repotting and stuff like that.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you're going to love (actual) JRP. They're tough as nails, more vigorous and versatile than JBP. They respond in the same fashion, but JRP gives me two or three times the amount of growth compared to any other pine. They also seem to care less about timing of the candle cutting, repotting and stuff like that.
Cool.I will make a batch towards Spring✌️

AnacortesSteve

Yamadori
Reaction score
I just bought some JRP on eBay so will give them a try.

Top Bottom