Japanese Red Beech

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Love it, you should clean the moss off the top of the roots so they stand out more, so the moss is only on the side of the roots and soil. Very nice elegant tree

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love it, you should clean the moss off the top of the roots so they stand out more, so the moss is only on the side of the roots and soil. Very nice elegant tree
Thanks Giga, I will clean them off once the tree is completely settled in, don't want to damage any new root growth as it did just have quite a bit of root work.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thought I'd share the amazing spring leaf color on this J. Red Beech. As decent as the photos are, the color is even more nuanced in person. There are 2 possible fronts, just developing for now...

Great looking tree!!! Are they planted in...kanuma?!

I know they like acid fertilizer, from my research, but I have a ton of kanuma and I collected 3 beeches so this could work well...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great looking tree!!! Are they planted in...kanuma?!

I know they like acid fertilizer, from my research, but I have a ton of kanuma and I collected 3 beeches so this could work well...
Yes they do well in Kanuma, I used it straight with a topping of akadama so it wouldn't be so bright against the trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well then, looks like I’ll be reporting them into Kanuma then. Thanks for that tip...

I have 3 of them right now, one the size of my wrist that’s in straight pumice, collected this time last year, one the size of my pinky that I just collected on Saturday, still in native soil, and one that’s pencil-thick I just collected on Saturday that’s also in native soil.

All three are still “asleep” but the buds are bright orange and will likely burst in mid-April I’d assume. Looking forward to working with them, I love a good challenge...

337C630F-0ED9-4A01-A94B-F2CAA2E4148B.jpeg
1670A70C-887E-4A07-873E-1D3BA3CAC01E.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This one I traded to Sergio for a shohin beautyberry. I do miss this one, but know it's doing so well at it's new home!
This one I traded to Sergio for a shohin beautyberry. I do miss this one, but know it's doing so well at it's new home!
@MACH5, how’s the tree doing? Any updates?

😀🪴

Top Bottom