Japanese Red Maple ๐Ÿ with burnt leaves.

dvsrk563

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello ๐Ÿ‘‹

I have recently purchased Japanese red maple ๐Ÿ at a nursery near my place and it turned out to be having burnt leaves recently, reading through some online resources I come to know itโ€™s because of too much sun exposure.

How could I make it recover before it gets worsen? One solution that I come across was to cut out all the burnt leaves to make the tree new leaves, unfortunately almost all the leaves I see are burnt at edges. If I need to cut out then I had to cut out all them.
I would like to take some experienced members suggestion on tackling this.

Appreciate some help on this. Attached some pictures of the tree.

thank you.

Attachments

• BF56420C-0A05-4833-9E1A-29623AA9A0D2.jpeg
    BF56420C-0A05-4833-9E1A-29623AA9A0D2.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 0CDD0A03-074F-473A-BE8F-1525355BF2D0.jpeg
    0CDD0A03-074F-473A-BE8F-1525355BF2D0.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 56
  • BB1EB4B4-FDA6-4B4E-9330-AA6B2AC218BE.jpeg
    BB1EB4B4-FDA6-4B4E-9330-AA6B2AC218BE.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 64

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it will be better to just let it be for the rest of this year. It will be ugly for now, but healthier next year for it.

It is possible that it may be too late for it to produce another flush this year. You could try defoliating just one branch, though, to find out. The very, very, almost impossible worst possible outcome is that branch dies - most likely not - but it doesn't risk the health of the entire tree doing so.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any leaves that just have the tips burned, I would leave alone. The remaining part of the leaf that is not burnt could still be providing photosynthesis.

Put it in an area that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Water it when it needs it and just leave it alone.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

Leave it alone. It has buds for next year and nothing is to be gained with new leaves now that would die next month anyway. Treat it better next year. They can stand some sun, but avoid mid-day sun from 11 to 2 pm between June 1st and August 21st.

<<<<< It will show here.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree with the above advice. Nothing can cure the damaged leaves but they will only last for a few more weeks before the tree goes dormant for winter so probably best to leave it alone now.
early in the year it is possible to cut off leaves and the tree will grow fresh leaves but that tales a lot of resources so can deplete a tree unless very healthy and well fed.
Make sure watering is better (more often, thorough watering to penetrate right to the middle of roots) and some afternoon shade. Exactly how much water and how much shade depends where you keep the trees, type of soil, size of pot, wind and many more so you will have to find out for yourself exactly how much and how often.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

dvsrk563

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@0soyoung @Paradox @Forsoothe! @Shibui
Very good information, thank you. I have updated my location details in my profile and I live in California, USA.
This morning I have another observation, I see black bugs underneath the leaves. Searching online they seems to be Aphids to me, if that is the case should I need to worry about it and what treatment should you suggest. Attached pics.

Attachments

• D4EDFE5A-22B3-4073-B581-3A154FED151C.jpeg
    D4EDFE5A-22B3-4073-B581-3A154FED151C.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 43
  • B979D1C0-B6F9-4E8D-A8DF-F724012DEAC8.jpeg
    B979D1C0-B6F9-4E8D-A8DF-F724012DEAC8.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 42

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea looks like aphids to me.

You can try removing them by hand if there arent that many or a strong stream of water but Id be afraid to remove leaves with the water.
Other than that any kind of insecticide labeled to kill aphids should take care of them pretty quick

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Aphids do like Japanese maples nearly as much as we do. They are relatively easy to kill as mentioned above. Most low toxic insecticides will kill aphids or hunt and kill manually. Check weekly to catch any new hatchings.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Assuming you're in SoCal (LA/OC) you're going to have two big problems with your tree: (1) dry air/wind (2) water. The sun, in and of itself, is not burning the leaves. You probably had the tree and everything was fine... until the first Santa Ana. Japanese maples can't stand that dry wind off the desert - even if they are in dappled shade. If you are set on keeping JM in SoCal, make sure to provide wind shelter like a shade cloth shelter or something similar. Secondarily, in California all water utilities have to provide an annual water quality statement. Look up your water quality, and check the pH. You are probably going to find that it is high... perhaps as high as 8.5. Japanese maples require slightly acidic soils, so it is likely that you are going to have to start using a soil acidifier.

This is what I used when I lived in the OC:

Super Iron 9-9-9

Attachments

• psai5on3f4slsokuhxfp__74723.1620336179.jpg
    psai5on3f4slsokuhxfp__74723.1620336179.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 43

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is someone able to make water more acidic for maples when the ph is around 8? Or just soil?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Probably better to start your own thread rather than resurrect an older one, but you can definitely acidify your irrigation water. The easiest/cheapest way is probably just to use vinegar (acetic acid) or citric acid, but these are relatively weak organic acids and may break down quickly. Phosphoric or sulfuric acid will have a more stable effect but require more caution to work with. MWRA water should be relatively soft already though so if you use an acidic mix and acidic fertilizer, that could be enough.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ugh... careful about tweaking your water pH with chems. Before I did that, I'd use acidic soil or acid fertilizer. So easy to overdo it and kill some/all your trees.

Top Bottom