Japanese Red Maple Pre-bonsai Winterization.

CubanBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi, I recently acquired 2 Japanese Red Maple (JRM) seedlings and I am thinking ahead regarding winter. They are now 4 inches in average, and I live in north east Ohio (USDA Zone 5a). I also live in a small apartment and so I only have a small balcony at my disposal. I thought about acquiring this small greenhouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Flower-House-..._sbs_lg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17EEY736QWMC8D8001AE

I was also thinking about covering the pot with some insulating material to prevent the roots from freezing. Any comments/suggestions? - Thanks

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi, I recently acquired 2 Japanese Red Maple (JRM) seedlings and I am thinking ahead regarding winter. They are now 4 inches in average, and I live in north east Ohio (USDA Zone 5a). I also live in a small apartment and so I only have a small balcony at my disposal. I thought about acquiring this small greenhouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Flower-House-..._sbs_lg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17EEY736QWMC8D8001AE

I was also thinking about covering the pot with some insulating material to prevent the roots from freezing. Any comments/suggestions? - Thanks

Your heading in completely the wrong direction as far as greenhouses go. The cheap plastic will rot out or disintegrate on any cheap/portable/under $300-500 kit greenhouse.

J maples are hardy to zone 5 anyways so you should be fine. If you must have a greenhouse spend the money on a good hoop house/poly tunnel from farmtek or buy a small but well built polycarbonate gh kit like the tulip house

http://www.amazon.com/Exaco-Tulip-H...d=1404300912&sr=1-2&keywords=tulip+greenhouse

Sure, it cost a lot more but you get what you pay for. Either of the above mentioned options will last many years with little maintenance. A cheap greenhouse regardless of the what material it's made from will last 1-2 years max.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Cuban, and welcome to the forum. If you could please update your profile to show where you live, then good advice for your area can be given when you have questions.

As you only have a balcony to work with, I would suggest a styro cooler type storage system, as it sounds like you don't need much room. And really not a lot of protection, as these might be fine in your area without. However, it wouldn't hurt to get a large styro cooler, and use it for your plants. Place them inside, and fill around them with leaves or mulch. These do not need or want light in the winter, and it's actually bad for them, as it'll try to bring them out of dormancy during warm sunny days. So keep it in the shade, and keep it cold. Like frozen if possible. You are really only doing protection for wind and possible prolonged very cold snaps. Keep the lid handy for these events, and you should be fine.

CubanBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Cuban, and welcome to the forum. If you could please update your profile to show where you live, then good advice for your area can be given when you have questions.

As you only have a balcony to work with, I would suggest a styro cooler type storage system, as it sounds like you don't need much room. And really not a lot of protection, as these might be fine in your area without. However, it wouldn't hurt to get a large styro cooler, and use it for your plants. Place them inside, and fill around them with leaves or mulch. These do not need or want light in the winter, and it's actually bad for them, as it'll try to bring them out of dormancy during warm sunny days. So keep it in the shade, and keep it cold. Like frozen if possible. You are really only doing protection for wind and possible prolonged very cold snaps. Keep the lid handy for these events, and you should be fine.

That is actually not a bad idea. I do realize they are trees that need a dormancy period; however, my only concern was that since they are so small (they germinated early in spring) they may be susceptible to the weather.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is actually not a bad idea. I do realize they are trees that need a dormancy period; however, my only concern was that since they are so small (they germinated early in spring) they may be susceptible to the weather.

It is a very good idea and not expensive. I mulch down all the small stuff the same way(except for last Winter when we moved). This Winter I will do the same as needed.

Grimmy

CubanBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They can get cold and freeze so you know, the idea with the mulch slows it down so they do not freeze one day and thaw the next and the mulch lets it happen but slows it down enough to not kill them. Take a look at the plain old plastic storage bins at WalMart just get them tall enough to give them wind protection keeping in mind they will be taller next year. I drill 5 holes about 3/8" in the corners and center for drainage.

Grimmy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
perhaps you have a friend or family near you. If so, consider putting the seedlings in the ground over the winter there.

CubanBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They can get cold and freeze so you know, the idea with the mulch slows it down so they do not freeze one day and thaw the next and the mulch lets it happen but slows it down enough to not kill them. Take a look at the plain old plastic storage bins at WalMart just get them tall enough to give them wind protection keeping in mind they will be taller next year. I drill 5 holes about 3/8" in the corners and center for drainage.

Grimmy

How many times should I water/fertilize them during winter? Is that what you were referring by saying "drainage"? - Thanks

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How many times should I water/fertilize them during winter? Is that what you were referring by saying "drainage"? - Thanks

Water when they get a little dry, but you won't need to fertilize much if at all in the winter.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

The goal is to have everything in the insulated box- the tree/soil/mulch- all to freeze and stay that way through the winter. When the soil and mulch is frozen, you don't water...simple. You'll want to get the box up against the outer wall of the apartment to make use of some of the warmth that will escape from there which will help the temps in the box from getting too cold.

...and I don't fertilize once the leaves have turned and start falling from the tree.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

When I keep the containers outside they get all the natural moisture from snow and rain. Rare I had to water them outdoors at all. In the shed is a different story but yours will be outside if I recall. I stop all fertilizer on everything except Tropicals in the Winter.

Grimmy

Top Bottom