0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I prefer to repot pines in summer - that is after the summer solstice (Jun 21).
Give it a try, if there is a 'next time'.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rest In peace, JRP ‘Jane Kluis’. You had a lot of potential but just didn’t thrive after your first repotting.
Sorry to hear that bro . You had me interested in it’s development . It’s to cold heat for JBP . Or at least for my winter storage ability . So a hybrid with some of JBP traits seemed promising

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have learned the hard way . Nursery stock purchases I leave Ithrm in There container and soil . Condition them to my yard and care . Get them fertilized well and growing healthy. Confirm there is no left over health concerns . Then repot the next spring . It sounds un necessary in a lot of cases and maybe just helps my peace of mind . But the vigor with out a doubt helps

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the OP nailed it pretty much. The tree was probably transitioned too fast from the nursery pot to the bonsai training pot. Something in between with a little less root work would probably have been better. I know Ive made that mistake in the past and particularly with pines, some arent very forgiving when it comes to over working the roots. It sucks but its how we learn sometimes.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have learned the hard way . Nursery stock purchases I leave Ithrm in There container and soil . Condition them to my yard and care . Get them fertilized well and growing healthy. Confirm there is no left over health concerns . Then repot the next spring . It sounds un necessary in a lot of cases and maybe just helps my peace of mind . But the vigor with out a doubt helps
I’m the opposite. I want to get trees out of nursery soil mixes and into APL as soon as it is practical to do so because I want watering to be as predictable as possible. I find that trees in nursery soil often have large dead zones underneath the trunk and you won’t know it until you repot. Usually, that approach works well for me. In this case, I think I just needed to go with a deeper pot and get down to a true bonsai container at a later repotting.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m the opposite. I want to get trees out of nursery soil mixes and into APL as soon as it is practical to do so because I want watering to be as predictable as possible. I find that trees in nursery soil often have large dead zones underneath the trunk and you won’t know it until you repot. Usually, that approach works well for me. In this case, I think I just needed to go with a deeper pot and get down to a true bonsai container at a later repotting.
Traditional I agree with your logic . What changed my approach . Is the end of spring sale trees . Thought we’ll it’s late and a little risky to repot . But by next spring the trees are in great shape . Most likely the heavy fertilizer regime is biggest cause . After all nursery is in the sales business fert cost money . O I still pot stuff right away like you . But valuable material questionable health stuff and under developed I often leave . . Just mentioned it as a option . Significant health can be induced And in the long run you have not slowed the transition to bonsai . My climate having a small reporting season also has played a factor

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m the opposite. I want to get trees out of nursery soil mixes and into APL as soon as it is practical
I agree.
The Japanese pines and tsuga are the only waxy leaved species I've found cannot be done in 'one fell swoop' (I.e., full bare root).

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Traditional I agree with your logic . What changed my approach . Is the end of spring sale trees . Thought we’ll it’s late and a little risky to repot . But by next spring the trees are in great shape . Most likely the heavy fertilizer regime is biggest cause . After all nursery is in the sales business fert cost money . O I still pot stuff right away like you . But valuable material questionable health stuff and under developed I often leave . . Just mentioned it as a option . Significant health can be induced And in the long run you have not slowed the transition to bonsai . My climate having a small reporting season also has played a factor
I've had nursery trees that I didn't do any work on that nonetheless died in their first winter because our fall and winter here is too wet when combined with nursery soil mix. The nurseries can overwinter their trees just fine because they move them indoors in a cold frame, hoop house, greenhouse, or whatever and that reduces the cold temperatures they're exposed to and also controls moisture levels. I lack those facilities. It's either mulched in on the north side of the house or garage or indoors in the basement under lights (where space is very limited, so I only bring in tropicals, subtropicals, and a couple special trees that won't thrive outdoors in my zone - coastal redwood and giant sequoia).

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You could try doing half bare root on nursery material. That would reduce water retention of the nursery soil by 50% and help with your wet/cold winters.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You could try doing half bare root on nursery material. That would reduce water retention of the nursery soil by 50% and help with your wet/cold winters.
I already do that. I don't bare root conifers except in some limited circumstances, such as when creating a root over rock composition.

Top Bottom