Japanese Red Pine (not a bonsai)

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've had this tree since just after it was grafted over 30 years ago. It is about 6 feet high. Pinus densiflora pendula. It has never been wired only pinched and pruned and the odd branch tied down with string. It's starting to display the character that red pines are so famous for - bark! Hope you enjoy....

P1130529.JPG

P1130530.JPG

P1130531.JPG

P1130533.JPG

P1130534.JPG

P1130535.JPG

Alexmacrophyllum

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is an awesome tree. I have a small one. I can't wait until mine gets that large. This is exactly what I was planning on doing. Thanks for sharing.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That thing breaks so many rules and still manages to look gorgeous.
Give me 3 hours with that and you would have a very valuable tree. (Not that it isn't awesome already). Thanks for sharing
PS this is my fav species

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That thing breaks so many rules and still manages to look gorgeous.
Give me 3 hours with that and you would have a very valuable tree. (Not that it isn't awesome already). Thanks for sharing
PS this is my fav species
It doesn't break any rules because it doesn't follow any and if you put wire on it you'll just f**k it up.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think because he means its 6’ tall. If its container grown, I personally consider it a bonsai!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good to see you posting again. You have some quality trees. Cheers

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is one at the National Arboretum in DC....it is amazing and beautiful, and about 6' tall.
These pics are from February 2019.
Love that JRP bark!
View attachment 275689View attachment 275690View attachment 275691
Wow, that one's REALLY old! It's very nice but I'm not sure that the main branch (first on the left) does much for it? A bit flat for my liking. if it was more like the first back branch!.....

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Lovely tree, thank you for sharing. I'm new so forgive me for asking: is lichen on bonsai a "good" thing? Or at least something you don't worry about? I know nothing about it, but I've never seen it on a bonsai before; at least I wasn't paying attention if I have.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
HooooWEeeeee I waited too long to check out this thread. Tree is gorgeous. Only heard recently that they take a while to bark up, shame. i'd get me some seeds right now if they developed like JBP

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lovely tree, thank you for sharing. I'm new so forgive me for asking: is lichen on bonsai a "good" thing? Or at least something you don't worry about? I know nothing about it, but I've never seen it on a bonsai before; at least I wasn't paying attention if I have.
Lichen actually does digest what it is living on whether it be rock or bark but VERY slowly. In the end a bit of lichen on your rough barked trees only adds to the picture . I encourage it but if it gets too much just scrape some off.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@GGB I have one three years old from seed and it's already barking up a little. Faster than my JBP.

In a pot?

They say potted trees bark faster.

I believe it since bark is dead and thin dies faster.

But does it also flake off easier?

Sorce

Top Bottom