Japanese scissors under $50

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would get a pair of Fiskars with a lifetime warranty.

The only necessary "bonsai" tools are concave cutters and knob cutters.

Everything else serves a function easily replaced by something else.

Sorce

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Adair told me about those ones in the link. They can be found here as well.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Well at 50.00 you can buy these

Or this one

Other vendors sell kaneshin

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes ARS has good reviews also. I bought a cheap Chinese set a few years ago but I feel I could’ve spend a little more and get something decent.
I will admit. I've had mine over 7 years...and cut...wire with it as well. Shhhh don't tell anyone.. They still are my go to. So comfortable to use.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
ARS are good shears. I keep a few pairs of those outside on the benches all year long for quick cuts. For quality shears, I far prefer this shape, and Kiku is good quality, so is Kaneshin.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I would get a pair of Fiskars with a lifetime warranty.

The only necessary "bonsai" tools are concave cutters and knob cutters.

Everything else serves a function easily replaced by something else.

Sorce
smart

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Forgot to mention American Bonsai tools, I have a set of them too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Forgot to mention American Bonsai tools, I have a set of them too.

Adam Lavigne uses those too. I've heard him promote them during his visit to Cincinnati Bonsai Club...and also on his blog from time to time.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At that price point you have buy a few of Kaneshin's offerings. I have a Joshua Roth shear (Ashinaga) on which one if the tips already broke (while inside my tool storage bag), which demonstrated a poorly tempered material. I own several Japanese knifes, and I know how brittle they are, but shears are tempered differently because of the nature of their action...

After that happened I started buying Kaneshin and Masakuni (I love their M9 wire cutters) and haven't had any issues with them. I would suggest going to the Kaneshin Japan website and browsing over for a while before you decide to purchase. Their information, while probably translated using google translate, is way better than the info used in the US based retailer websites.

But like mentioned above by Source, you don't need a set of actual bonsai shears, a decent quality gardening shears will suffice. The "icing on the cake" with Japanese tools is that they are "engineered" to the intended task, and are ergonomically "correct" to make the job easier on you. ie... slender design to reach into tight areas without cutting or moving everything in its way.

Last edited:

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At that price point you have buy a few of Kaneshin's offerings. I have a Joshua Roth shear (Ashinaga) on which one if the tips already broke (while inside my tool storage bag), which demonstrated a poorly tempered material. I own several Japanese knifes, and I know how brittle they are, but shears are tempered differently because of the nature of their action...

After that happened I started buying Kaneshin and Masakuni (I love their M9 wire cutters) and haven't had any issues with them. I would suggest going to the Kaneshin Japan website and browsing over for a while before you decide to purchase. Their information, while probably translated using google translate, is way better than the info used in the US based retailer websites.

But like mentioned above by Source, you don't need a set of actual bonsai shears, a decent quality gardening shears will suffice. The "icing on the cake" with Japanese tools is that they are "engineered" to the intended task, and are ergonomically "correct" to make the job easier on you. ie... slender design to reach into tight areas without cutting or moving everything in its way.
I’m big into Japanese knives too. Takamura R2 is my favorite right now :)

Last edited:

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My favorite styles for my use are Kiritsuke, Santoku and Deba. A few manufacturers within my reach that I like, but I prefer Yaxell, I like their simple Mon and Dragon series, dreaming Yaxell Ypsilon and Nigara Hamono.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My favorite styles for my use are Kiritsuke, Santoku and Deba. A few manufacturers within my reach that I like, but I prefer Yaxell, I like their simple Mon and Dragon series, dreaming Yaxell Ypsilon and Nigara Hamono.
Tojiro santukos are a good value and shirogami is easy to sharpen. I like to add a kiritsuke to my collection.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ARS are good shears. I keep a few pairs of those outside on the benches all year long for quick cuts. For quality shears, I far prefer this shape, and Kiku is good quality, so is Kaneshin.

Satsuki is the model I need to order right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom