Japanese Stewartia

Emotter1984

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all!

I purchased this Japanese Stewardia over the weekend. It’s around 60” from the root base to the apex. The trunk above the taper is spring 2” thick.

Would it make sense to airlayer to shorten the main trunk or just lower the apex and keep it long and slender?

Attachments

• 52358ECA-A415-4504-929E-32848CBCF4F3.jpeg
    52358ECA-A415-4504-929E-32848CBCF4F3.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 236
  • C1116B96-660B-4D85-A6CF-2029FA4405F6.jpeg
    C1116B96-660B-4D85-A6CF-2029FA4405F6.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 45108BAF-4692-4329-AA19-B122CEF8FA6C.jpeg
    45108BAF-4692-4329-AA19-B122CEF8FA6C.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 201

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These do well as taller graceful trees, you'll want a larger canopy as the flowers are pretty large, and the leaves can be as well. They naturally tend to more graceful silhouettes, so I'd go with that. I had one much like this one, even with a secondary trunk...
You should go to your profile and put your location there, so people can give you good advice for your climate. Welcome to the forum!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Emotter1984

Seedling
Reaction score
Is it too big to be a bonsai? I’m leaning towards reducing the apex down so that it’s around 48”.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
These do well as taller graceful trees, you'll want a larger canopy as the flowers are pretty large, and the leaves can be as well. They naturally tend to more graceful silhouettes, so I'd go with that. I had one much like this one, even with a secondary trunk...
You should go to your profile and put your location there, so people can give you good advice for your climate. Welcome to the forum!
Did Stewartia backbud for you Judy. I'm growing one out so I'm debating when or if to chop.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is it too big to be a bonsai? I’m leaning towards reducing the apex down so that it’s around 48”.
I would not want a tree that tall, I'd get it back into 24" or so for myself, just depends on what you feel like lugging around...And finding a suitable pot for eventually, so 24 ish is a good size for a largish tree.

Emotter1984

Seedling
Reaction score
That sounds like it would be a hard prune. When would be the best time to do that?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That sounds like it would be a hard prune. When would be the best time to do that?
Wow that first branch is much higher than I would have expected it to be. How do you feel about having a very large tree? If you took the canopy back to about half it's height, how big would the tree then be? It already has a very nice branch spread and shape, and some decent taper, it would be a shame to waste what is already happening. I put some cut lines on the picture, the right branch I would at least take back to the outer line, but if there is a branch coming off at the inner line, I'd take it off there. The left large branch I'd take to the trunk or very close. Both those branches are too heavy for that part of the tree, unless you air layer it way up the trunk. That is another option that I put a line up the trunk. You then could develop the secondary trunk as it's own tree.

Attachments

• 52358ECA-A415-4504-929E-32848CBCF4F3.jpeg
    52358ECA-A415-4504-929E-32848CBCF4F3.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 166

Emotter1984

Seedling
Reaction score
Is it too late in the year to prune that hard?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Want to sell if your in an adjacent zip code?

...and your tape-measure might be broken.....

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks. What about air layering?
You mean what time of year to do it? Or how to do it...
Air layers are usually started after the first leaves are almost hardened off, late spring, early summer so the roots have time to grow and do the separation before winter. There are threads about how to air layer here on the forum, do a search if that is what your question is. It would be really good if you could put your location in your profile, so we know what your climate is. Thanks.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Want to sell if your in an adjacent zip code?

...and your tape-measure might be broken.....

Why would you say that?

If I were close(where ever you are?) I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat. You have an example not often seen in these parts: a tall Stewartia in a nursery can!! Borderline hardy in the ground up here, but my favorite, (now closed) landscape nursery had on planted next to an outbuilding, so they can make it here with some protection. Should have bought two great pieces from Bonsai West in Massachusetts years back for $400 apiece. Magnificent orange bark and fine twigs....natural up and out growth habit....flowers and green leaves against the brightly hued bark....probably worth 4-5 x's the cost now.

looks like a branch right in front that seems a lot lower than 36"

acid loving tree so try to avoid tap water and get some Miracid.....

Your questions make me think you might want to just grow this on for a season or two before you start thinking about "chopping". As much as I like a "two trunk" look, that smaller shoot from the base is just a bit too high, for me personally. You might like it and that's what's most important!

Nice material, don't kill it... 🖖

Emotter1984

Seedling
Reaction score
You mean what time of year to do it? Or how to do it...
Air layers are usually started after the first leaves are almost hardened off, late spring, early summer so the roots have time to grow and do the separation before winter. There are threads about how to air layer here on the forum, do a search if that is what your question is. It would be really good if you could put your location in your profile, so we know what your climate is. Thanks.
I mean, when would be a good time to air layer? I’m in zone 6a.
How do I put my zone in my profile?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I mean, when would be a good time to air layer? I’m in zone 6a.
How do I put my zone in my profile?
Yeah, so late spring early summer is air layer time. If you click on your avatar icon at the top right of the banner of the homepage, then click on account details, you can put it in there. Make sure you put a general location like your state, as well as zone, as there are international folks here as well as us here in the states.

Top Bottom