Japanese Terminology Disambiguation: Kabudachi

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I figure somebody here would know - what is the technical definition of the term "kabudachi?" I have seen it used to refer to any multi-trunk tree, but I came across this page on a Japanese website that seems to suggest it only refers to trees with five-plus trunks. Not sure on the reliability of the source, though. Sorry if this seems overly pedantic! It came up for me when I was putting a triple-trunk european hornbeam clump together. Here is a photo from spring of this year:

20220228_084948.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the terms on that site seem about right, from what ive observed over the years.
Cool project, good to see people trying new things, these are separate trees you planted together? if so, I might have put the thickest one in the middle...how did it grow this season?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the terms on that site seem about right, from what ive observed over the years.
Cool project, good to see people trying new things, how did it grow this season?

Thanks! The trees really just grew leaves and roots - no shoot extension to speak of. I am hoping that they make up for it next year.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice glossary. Thanks for the link.

I may be venturing into the petty or pedantic, but USA has more or less gone its own way with Bonsai. In USA shows, most show chairpersons have dropped the Japanese terms from their show schedules, lists of entry categories. Usually English names are used. Botanical names are usually required, which are not Japanese. Japanese cultivar names are transliterated to English spelling, for example 'Chojubai', or 'Toyo Nishiki'. But by and large most everything is in English. Clump, Forest Planting, are used instead of the Japanese terms by most club show programs.

This switch to English acknowledges that there is a USA aesthetic to Bonsai. Just as there is a recognizable European style, Chinese style, Indonesian style, and of course traditional Japanese style. Just looking at how a tree is potted, you can often tell what continent the artist is from.

If your local Bonsai club uses the Japanese terms, then that glossary is good. But most clubs just use English for their Show categories, so there's no need to know the Japanese terms.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I might have put the thickest one in the middle

You are probably right, there, although the triangular symmetry of the planting means that I can really rotate any of the three to the "middle." Also, I am toying with the idea of chopping the trunks very low after the base has fused, and wiring some new shoots to introduce much more movement. At that point (or even if I leave the trunks un-chopped) I can select for myself which one ends up the thickest through deliberate pruning.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
株立 kabudachi are the characters making this bonsai word. Kabu is the word for stump (but is also used for stock i.e. stock market etc) and Dachi which is to stand or rise. It would be considered an informal tree style in Japanese bonsai circles. This is different from the Soukan or Sankan; Split Trunk, with two main trees or Three Tree split at the trunk base respectively. So technically what you will have with this Hornbeam is a Sankan, which is considered an informal style. Soukan style interestingly is considered a semi-formal style. The reason Japanese do not do four trunks is because in Japanese the word Four is considered unlucky, sometimes pronounced yon and sometimes pronounced shi. Shi is the word for death, and so it is an unlucky number, just like some Americans consider 13 to be an unlucky number. So most Kabudachi styled trees are going to limit the trunks to five.....more than that number and it would probably look unwieldy or like it was pollarded to death? Here is reference to a resource on the site. Gaddou Display Basics

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
株立 kabudachi are the characters making this bonsai word. Kabu is the word for stump (but is also used for stock i.e. stock market etc) and Dachi which is to stand or rise. It would be considered an informal tree style in Japanese bonsai circles. This is different from the Soukan or Sankan; Split Trunk, with two main trees or Three Tree split at the trunk base respectively. So technically what you will have with this Hornbeam is a Sankan, which is considered an informal style. Soukan style interestingly is considered a semi-formal style. The reason Japanese do not do four trunks is because in Japanese the word Four is considered unlucky, sometimes pronounced yon and sometimes pronounced shi. Shi is the word for death, and so it is an unlucky number, just like some Americans consider 13 to be an unlucky number. So most Kabudachi styled trees are going to limit the trunks to five.....more than that number and it would probably look unwieldy or like it was pollarded to death? Here is reference to a resource on the site. Gaddou Display Basics
To ad to kekejiku's detailed response.

Based on what I've seen, "Kabudachi" is a minimum of 5 trunks, only because the categories of 双幹 "soukan" (pair of trunks), and 三幹 "sankan" (three trunks) exist. That's not to say, soukan and sankan cannot also be kabudachi. They absolutely can. If there are 2 or more trunks that are fused and share a nebari, then I think you are free to call it kabudachi although most would likely just identify it by the number of trunks instead. It's like saying all apples are fruits, but not all fruits are apples.

As far as maximums go, there isn't one as far as I know. However, it depends how the tree was built/grew. If it was technically a raft (an original trunk layed down, with the branches forming new trunks), then it becomes 筏吹き "Ikadabuki". However, unless one knew the history of the tree, it's likely they might look at a raft and say, "That's a nice kabudachi.", and have the owner reply, "That one is actually and ikadabuki."

Also, to add to the number 4 thing: It's true to the point that some older buildings don't have a 4th floor. To a lesser extent, the number 9 has some stigma as well because one of the ways the number 9 can be pronounced resembles the pronunciation for words that involve pain or suffering.
I got into my last apartment because it was on the 4th floow and nobody wanted it. - It did however turn out to be unlucky as my neighbor there had an extreme case of OCD and was insufferable to live next to.

Now I live on the 7th floor of another building. : )

Top Bottom