Japanese Terracotta Training Pots

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there,

I've seen these really nice Japanese training pots made of terracotta by the looks of it. I am wondering firstly if there is any advantage to them? I can imagine that compared to plastic there must be. Secondly they are not glazed so do you think they are low fired pots that can have some sort of air/water movement through the walls.

I am thinking of making some if I could get a bit more information on them.

Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Local "earthenware" clays will fire differently, gotta experiment.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there,

I've seen these really nice Japanese training pots made of terracotta by the looks of it. I am wondering firstly if there is any advantage to them? I can imagine that compared to plastic there must be. Secondly they are not glazed so do you think they are low fired pots that can have some sort of air/water movement through the walls.

Thanks
I have a couple of these. FWIW, they don't feel like typical terracotta pots. They're not as "soft" as the terra cotta pots that are sold in typical plant nurseries...They don't scratch or chip like terra cotta. They also haven't broken down in winter here in constant freeze thaw cycles. They been out in 15 or more winters...

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've noticed the difference in shape between Tokoname training pots and the ordinary terracotta bulb pans or azalea pots -- the Japanese pots taper in to a smaller base. Does this help train the root system while growing the tree out?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've noticed the difference in shape between Tokoname training pots and the ordinary terracotta bulb pans or azalea pots -- the Japanese pots taper in to a smaller base. Does this help train the root system while growing the tree out?
Has more to do with drainage than with forcing roots. Taper increases water pressure at the bottom providing faster drainage. Also minimizes standing water at the bottom. Better drainage insures better roots...

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,

Thanks
This would be awesome. I wish I could find terra-cotta-esque training pots with legs/air gaps like the japanese terra-cotta pots I see in some posts here and on BonsaiTonight. I've had to resort to using Sugru to fashion tiny legs on some 6" cactus pots I purchased off eBay.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a couple of these. FWIW, they don't feel like typical terracotta pots. They're not as "soft" as the terra cotta pots that are sold in typical plant nurseries...They don't scratch or chip like terra cotta. They also haven't broken down in winter here in constant freeze thaw cycles. They been out in 15 or more winters...
I can’t attest to the durability in a real winter, but they are definitely less porous than terra cotta. My terra cotta pots develop hard water scale and algae outside of the pot from what I assume is water leaching through the pot. These Japanese training pots do not form any deposits on the outside.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only place I've seen these for sale is Wigerts and Bonsai Outlet. Does anyone know of other places?

NEBG and Bonsai Outlet are one in the same......I did not notice the OP was located in Israel so shipping would be steep. Was mentioned they would like to try to make their own. Think there is a manufacturer of something similar from Italy. But these Tokoname one's work well.

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NEBG and Bonsai Outlet are one in the same......I did not notice the OP was located in Israel so shipping would be steep. Was mentioned they would like to try to make their own. Think there is a manufacturer of something similar from Italy. But these Tokoname one's work well.
I'm thinking of actually making my own, as you saw I'm located in Israel and around the Mediterranean our local clay is this terracotta. So I want to experiment. I'll definitely take @hemmy suggestion and fire them a bit hotter to be able to prevent water movement. I thought this would have been one of the benefits to allow the roots to breath but guess that wasn't it. I like the idea of the glazed rim too. I guess it's just a basic pot then without too many frills as a bonsai pot. I should be able to make a few of these then.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm thinking of actually making my own, as you saw I'm located in Israel and around the Mediterranean our local clay is this terracotta. So I want to experiment. I'll definitely take @hemmy suggestion and fire them a bit hotter to be able to prevent water movement. I thought this would have been one of the benefits to allow the roots to breath but guess that wasn't it. I like the idea of the glazed rim too. I guess it's just a basic pot then without too many frills as a bonsai pot. I should be able to make a few of these then.
A few more differences from terra cotta, a large drainage hole, raised feet, and holes for tie down wires. I think my larger ones have 4 tie down holes.
C741D7A1-4CBF-4374-B993-1AD38F504DD9.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally spoken: Use of terra cotta bulb pots up to 14 1/2" size. Drill extra drainage holes, wire hold down holes, use pieces of broken pots for drainage clearance under edges of pots. Open non organic substrate prevents expansion/contraction breakage in Winter. Deposits on outside pots is no matter. Cheaper than japanese ones and mostly readily available(up to 10 1/2" size). These are personal go to for most growing phase trees☺️. Why waste $$ on japanese "name" for growing pots? No good reason!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure, why support a local bonsai nursery when I can just give my money to a big-box store?

...unless of course it's Mirai and nobody else......post some trees cheapskate......:rolleyes:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shouldn't have any extreme freeze-thaw cycles in your area so shouldn't need a 10 cone firing. Why not try your own.

Getting the proper form and taper could be a challenge perhaps. But if your a DIY type, embrace the challenge!:cool:

......but why buy the gas station when you just need a couple gallons.....

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
The shipping costs from Japan makes the price of these pots hard to justify when local alternatives are available, especially when ordering just a few.

Eastern Canada does not have much of a pottery industry, but the Middle East and Maghreb certainly do @tangledtanuki -- I am more familiar with the traditions in Turkey and Morocco, where I'm certain that they already have the equipment and trained workers in place that could allow them to make these for you in bulk on demand. Perhaps you have fellow enthusiasts who are interested to help you put together an order of worthwhile volume?

We are lucky that, in the past, one of the local study groups in Quebec would bring in a half-container of these pots every few years. This is on hold for now, also due to recent increases in shipping costs.

They do look great though... wish I had some Kirin beer crates to go with them!

Bonsai_02.jpg

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wish someone in America would be willing to make a basic pot like this affordably.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dunno the Japanese tokaname grow pots are all that expensive for what they are, they run 9-20 bucks each, with 20 bucks for a 9” pot that is sturdy and reusable.

My fear is the Japanese will find out how cheap the American terra cotta pots are made, and someday they’ll get the message its ok to make cheap ass thin wall terra cotta bonsai pots and get away with selling these in the trade.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom