Japanese/Trident maple in San diego, CA zone 10

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone.
I am looking to purchase a young trident maple and red maple for future bonsai trees. I am a bit concerned about the warm weather we have here in San Diego. according to the web, i live in zone 10. Will my trees enter their dormancy? if not, is there a way that i can force them into it or do i even need to? I'm just looking to the future before i spend to much time/money on something that will not work out. I have a perfect back yard that faces east and only has sun until about 1 pm. after then, the yard becomes cloaked in shade as the house blocks the sun from then on. thanks for your help.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
They will go into dormancy in zone 10. You might have some leaf burn when summer heat hits its peak, or when hot Santa Ana winds come, but if you have a spot with afternoon shade, and you water diligently, you should be okay. Some people have trouble with laceleaf maples inland, but trident and red maples will survive or even thrive with the right care.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When you say red maple are you referring to a Japanese maple? If so, I honestly would not bother in SD with them. You can grow them but they seem to scorch very badly in those areas and will never get good autumn coloring. A big part of growing good bonsai is growing species that do well in your climate.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I assume the reference is to acer rubrum. They'll do fine in San Diego. I see them all over. It's true, however, that maples generally don't get great fall color in Southern California the way they do up north, back east or in higher elevations.

Top Bottom