Japanese White Pine "Arakawa"????

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

Anyone heard of this type of JWP? before? I saw it on an ad and it says it's got the corkbark on a JWP.

Thanks

J

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes but beware of the grafts on them, the bark doesn't match up very well. Mine slowly became a landscape tree after the graft union got more and more noticeable but otherwise a really cool type of JWP

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes, watch the grafts. The bark gets warty like an Arakawa maple, not wings like the Nishiki JBP cultivars.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thought that might have been you...bummer it didn’t make it.

Few pines made it out alive that early on in my bonsai journey. Inexperience, too much work too soon, less than ideal lighting. Sucks it didn’t make it because it’s not a common tree, but if it were offered to me now, I probably wouldn’t buy it. Now the shohin JBP I bought from don that I killed around the same time...that one still stings. But to give credit where it’s due, all your input has helped me get a decent handle on my pines since then.

Last edited:

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an 'Arakawa' purchased from Kigi nursery. It's grafted up high so I only use it as a scion donor. The needles are as long as the species needles.
It's a very vigorous grower. One other thing I've noticed is that it doesn't produce the number of buds in one place that some of the dwarfs do. For example,
I might get three buds at a node but on a 'Hagarumo' or 'Ko Ko No E', I often get 5 or 6. I've been grafting them into black pine root stock for several years now.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an 'Arakawa' purchased from Kigi nursery. It's grafted up high so I only use it as a scion donor. The needles are as long as the species needles.
It's a very vigorous grower. One other thing I've noticed is that it doesn't produce the number of buds in one place that some of the dwarfs do. For example,
I might get three buds at a node but on a 'Hagarumo' or 'Ko Ko No E', I often get 5 or 6. I've been grafting them into black pine root stock for several years now.

Do you have pics of donor tree bark and example of personal low grafts please?:confused:

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have a smart phone with which to take pictures, but I'll see if I can get my hands on a digital camera.

Top Bottom