Japanese White Pine in Zone 8

tcastloo

Seed
Reaction score
I have some general questions regarding growing Japanese White Pines in USDA zone 8, more specifically North East Texas. I have 3 JWP's, all dwarf cultivars, Hagomoro, and two Miyajima's (one's a fresh graft on JBP stock and the other's a more mature tree). I've had the Hagomoro for roughly 7 months with no issues, it often spent time shaded with my maples. To preface the two Miyajima's are from 9b Northern California in the high desert, and the Hagomoro is from Eastern Tennessee (7b). I figured my biggest issues are the lack of cold (although we did get down to -6 during out snowpocalypse here in Texas last winter) and heat especially above 90 degrees.
I plan on installing 50% shade cloth for next summer but as the temperatures are beginning to cool down for fall I planned to move my pines to more full sun during the day. If there is any tips with growing JWP's in zone 8 or any revisions to anything state please feel free, I'm simply posting this to get more input so I can cater care to maximize health. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6065 2.PNG
    IMG_6065 2.PNG
    273.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5818.jpg
    IMG_5818.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5818.jpg
    IMG_5818.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6053.jpg
    IMG_6053.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 66

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The maps indicate I'm probably around zone 8. Japanese white pines are doing reasonably well here for around 8 years now. I don't think lack of winter cold is the problem some growers claim it to be. Excessive heat in summer seems to be the biggest issue. The trees under 30% shade have grown better here than those in full sun through summer.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you can keep the pots cool and the tree out of the direct sun during the heat of the day you might be OK. The Japanese will tell you they do not do well in high heat and high humidity.

tcastloo

Seed
Reaction score
The maps indicate I'm probably around zone 8. Japanese white pines are doing reasonably well here for around 8 years now. I don't think lack of winter cold is the problem some growers claim it to be. Excessive heat in summer seems to be the biggest issue. The trees under 30% shade have grown better here than those in full sun through summer.
I've come to the realization that the cold aspect isn't as much as people claim, the high heat I plan to mitigate with shade cloth around the pots and 50% overhead for the upcoming summer. I figured a lot of help like from yourself would mostly come from Oregon as I know you all are a similar zone. I plan to reactive my Mirai membership for JWP's, glad to hear that you had two different set ups of full sun and with 30%. What's your opinion on humidity? I've heard its the contrary during the summer which is humidity is fine that they dislike dry winds more.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Humidity is typically very low here through warmer summer months with very high bush fire risk and humidity down as far as 10% on hot, dry days. temps above 40C (100F) are common through summer.
In the nursery, where the pines are, humidity will be much higher as the trees are watered every morning and evening with excess water evaporating from the gravel paths through much of the day but I have not made any attempt to quantify it.
Fortunately our property is sheltered from the hot, dry westerly winds so I can't comment on wind v humidity.

I have never felt the need to wrap pots. White pines are in black plastic orchid pots (shallow) and the trees in full sun get as much sun on the pots as any of the other trees.

Take into account grafted white pines when considering what factors may stress the species. White pines on black pine roots may react differently to things like pot temp but so far I have not really noticed any differences.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Japanese White Pine have done very well for me in Metro Atlanta... summer time highs upper 80's to mid 90's F and dew points in the upper 60's to mid 70's F from June through September and a short winter with lows in the 30's with occasional drops into the teens. I'm a USDA zone 7b but probably should be zone 8... my JWP are vigorous and seemingly less prone to fungal and mite issues then my JBP.

tcastloo

Seed
Reaction score
What’s your sun regimen? That might be a lot more comparable to my climate per say than Oregon! Glad to hear they’re doing well though!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What’s your sun regimen? That might be a lot more comparable to my climate per say than Oregon! Glad to hear they’re doing well though!
My trees are in full sun for 5-6 hours from 10ish am to 3-5 pm, more by necessity then design (my yard is very steep and wooded with a south west exposure). In your location, you'd probably need mid afternoon shade if you're able.

Top Bottom