Japanese White Pine - Is this one a lost cause?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Either missed or is not here. Understanding from this BN site(if correct)is that rootstock governs hardiness of tree. As is likely this tree grafted on some tree hardy your area tree "should" be OK there. Maybe could ask nursery how many of these sold/living your area:confused:?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Either missed or is not here. Understanding from this BN site(if correct)is that rootstock governs hardiness of tree. As is likely this tree grafted on some tree hardy your area tree "should" be OK there. Maybe could ask nursery how many of these sold/living your area:confused:?
You cannot depend on the veracity of nursery person-ell.

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You cannot depend on the veracity of nursery person-ell.

I could reach out to the original place of purchase. They may be able to tell me as it's a respectable bonsai nursery. (Although I'm convinced this white pine was just purchased wholesale and sold on)
You can get grafted white pines in a lot of places here in the UK. I have no idea whether they use JBP or something more local (Scots pine maybe) as root stock however.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I could reach out to the original place of purchase. They may be able to tell me as it's a respectable bonsai nursery. (Although I'm convinced this white pine was just purchased wholesale and sold on)
You can get grafted white pines in a lot of places here in the UK. I have no idea whether they use JBP or something more local (Scots pine maybe) as root stock however.
I think it is more likely that the stock will be Scots Pine. JBP has very distinctive flaky and fissured bark the Scots does not.

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think it is more likely that the stock will be Scots Pine. JBP has very distinctive flaky and fissured bark the Scots does not.

I could see that being the case as they are the most abundant pine locally. If so, I have no worries about leaving the tree in my intended location over the winter.

I hope we get a good winter. This Autumn has been very slow to start. It's still mid teens (celsius) in the day and only just started to dip below 10 at night. Most of other trees are yet to shed any leaves.

Top Bottom