Japanese white pine Miyajima nursery stock.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand, thanks for the clarification. Mugo has some dwarf cultivars but generally speaking they are not a dwarf when it's var. pumillo or mughus. It is a rather slow growing single flush genus though! I've seen it a bunch of times that people refer to mugo as a dwarf, so I just wanted to point out that it's not, unless specified. It might help some people for future reference.
Good point . Especially here in North America where most Mugo are dwarf garden accent plants . Based on that is what is sold in nurseries . As I said iseli has introduced multiple dwarf cultivars . So they must work a lot with it . Working in the capital of Canada I have access to the national arboretum which has multiple trees . Dating from its start in 1904 . There is a impressive Mugo multi stem . Each about 1 to 2 feet diameter . It’s not a gigantic tall pine tree . But your not mistaken it for a dwarf

Attachments

• 8C3CB63A-2E19-4D24-BEBB-207ABADA4F04.jpeg
    8C3CB63A-2E19-4D24-BEBB-207ABADA4F04.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 32

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What size scion is best for starting grafts? I need to learn how to graft.
I have a 15 foot tall JWP in my front yard. I looked through all the Mugo at Lowes yesterday
and all they had were multiple pencil sized trunks making up the 2 gallon pots.
I didn’t even bother to look at the price. Maybe once every 5 or more years do I see a mugo
here locally, that is worth considering for bonsai. Root stock for scions though, I’ve never had
in mind when looking through them. What should i be looking for?
You don’t have to use mugo . I’m more interested in grafting foliage to a good trunk . But my understanding is you start with a 2 year old ore 3 rootstock . And graft a shoot to it there are multiple . Vids on line . As I said before . Iseli has created and discovered multiple mugo . Dwarf cultivars . One way to develop cultivars is plant thousands of seeds . And select unique growth . So stands to reason they have lots of mugo . Root stock so they use that . Of course there may be other reasons . Have you considered . You have a bonsai JWP nice cultivar And you have a 15 foot yard tree . I would be tempted to graft foliage and or buds from the bonsai to the trunk of the yard tree . Then dig that up . Just a thought . One of the primary reasons I signed up a subscription it Marai is to learn more advanced techniques like . Grafting . So far the approach grafting has been very interesting . Not trying to sell you . But there is lots of info if your interested . Lots on the web about grafting

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You don’t have to use mugo . I’m more interested in grafting foliage to a good trunk . But my understanding is you start with a 2 year old ore 3 rootstock . And graft a shoot to it there are multiple . Vids on line . As I said before . Iseli has created and discovered multiple mugo . Dwarf cultivars . One way to develop cultivars is plant thousands of seeds . And select unique growth . So stands to reason they have lots of mugo . Root stock so they use that . Of course there may be other reasons . Have you considered . You have a bonsai JWP nice cultivar And you have a 15 foot yard tree . I would be tempted to graft foliage and or buds from the bonsai to the trunk of the yard tree . Then dig that up . Just a thought . One of the primary reasons I signed up a subscription it Marai is to learn more advanced techniques like . Grafting . So far the approach grafting has been very interesting . Not trying to sell you . But there is lots of info if your interested . Lots on the web about grafting
No, I have no plans to dig up the landscape tree unless it dies.
I got on a ladder last Fall and my wife and I removed all the old shed needles
and trimmed back some. I have left bottom branches that’s in the way of the mower
lest one day I take up grafting as a side hobby. So 2-3 year old root stock.
That helps. Sorry to the OP, for the side notes on your thread.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah it has been good. I actually just cut off all the middle branches today so it will feed the bottom, that I’m actually keeping more.
View attachment 506701
View attachment 506703
Wuhl my post was good timing. How do these things happen?
Hope it doesn't throw a fit on ya. Still love the foliage on this one.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do they sometimes respond poorly to cutting the middle branches off?
Don't know about the mid section causing issues, but the amount of reduction I have had issues with
on a JWP. Thought I was following Adairs example at a workshop, but I'm being more cautious with reductions
since that "Atco goyo" died. Maybe it was the included shari I did along with the reduction.
I would've wanted to reduce keeper branches to drive ramification closer in, but would be leery of that this year now.

Top Bottom