Japanese white pine, more foliage

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree looks much stronger now! From the top view, I can see the length of the new growth. Next year, don’t let the candles extend so long. When they are just about to send out needles, you can break them off so that they are shorter, but will still have needles. Be careful not to mistake pollen cones for needles!

It looks like it will be ready for wiring in September. The best time to wire is just after the old needles fall off.

BVF mentioned that JWP on their own roots have different characteristics. It’s not so much as being on their own roots, but most JWP we see as bonsai are selected cultivars chosen specifically for having tight tufts of foliage. And they are usually propagated via grafting. A JWP grown from seed is not likely to have that superior foliage. Yamadori, being from seed, is unlikely to have superior foliage. Still, with careful management, you can get it to shorten the internodes and needles.

The tree is really looking much healthier now! A healthy tree can tolerate wiring and shaping. You will find it will progress quickly now! Congratulations, and I look forward to the tree’s continued progression!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
The tree looks much stronger now! From the top view, I can see the length of the new growth. Next year, don’t let the candles extend so long. When they are just about to send out needles, you can break them off so that they are shorter, but will still have needles. Be careful not to mistake pollen cones for needles!

It looks like it will be ready for wiring in September. The best time to wire is just after the old needles fall off.

BVF mentioned that JWP on their own roots have different characteristics. It’s not so much as being on their own roots, but most JWP we see as bonsai are selected cultivars chosen specifically for having tight tufts of foliage. And they are usually propagated via grafting. A JWP grown from seed is not likely to have that superior foliage. Yamadori, being from seed, is unlikely to have superior foliage. Still, with careful management, you can get it to shorten the internodes and needles.

The tree is really looking much healthier now! A healthy tree can tolerate wiring and shaping. You will find it will progress quickly now! Congratulations, and I look forward to the tree’s continued progression!
Hi Adair,
yes it’s quite healthy now, I will start fertilizing now I think. It still has some wire on from last year, i removed some of it today and it needs extra wire at some places.
I’ll do it in fall. The old needles tend to stay on quite long on this tree compared to other white pines.
I’m not sure of the variety of this white pine but it’s foliage type isn’t a short needle.
What you said about breaking off the candles is something I tried last year actually. The result was very long needles. This method is good for short needle types but not for this tree. This year I let everything grow freely, now foliage has hardened off, needles are much less long and I cut back quite a bit.
some of the long candles which I wanted to keep I cut back still leaving a part of the new growth. There should be still buds appearing , and if not well, not so big problem.
I’ll see how it goes.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Just for the record, spring candles on this jwp
I really should have put it in a different small pot but somehow didn’t find the size and shape I wanted yet. I should look a bit harder probably..
View attachment 241749
Looking fantastic. Much improvement from the starting state. I like it very much.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Looking fantastic. Much improvement from the starting state. I like it very much.
Thanx, I still have mixed feelings about this tree really. I think it’s missing a defining branch or something. Will try to make some improvements next autumn.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Adair M is there way to deal with leggy branches on pine. What if we cut to reduce the length very next to the bud of trunk ?
Can leggy branches get thick if encouraged more back budding.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty decent looking tree. Certain thing you miss is there. Keep studying tree and Bonsai collections of masters. You will find;).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M is there way to deal with leggy branches on pine. What if we cut to reduce the length very next to the bud of trunk ?
Can leggy branches get thick if encouraged more back budding.
Sometimes the best way is to graft.

White pines don’t backbud as much as Black pines. So grafting is common.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
What about Chir Pine (Pinus Roxburghii) ?
Never heard of it as well but looked it up on Wikipedia:
Pinus roxburghii, commonly known as chir pine or longleaf Indian pine... The leaves are needle-like, in fascicles of three, very slender, 20–35 cm (7.9–13.8 in) long, and distinctly yellowish green.
So judging by description this is not really suitable for bonsai...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
something

Like a rock pot and a drastic angle change..
(Though that angle is Excellent)
I believe that excellent angle may be making it hard to find a new, not perfect angle, that works better with the foliage.

This angle seems to only display the trunk itself well.

That pot is killing imagination too IMO.

It's ugly!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@R3x. This thread is cursed!

Sorce

Reactions: R3x

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then all of a sudden those 2 and my extra were deleted?

Interesting! My bars were still "trying".

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While the bars are trying, refreshing the page sends the message.

Sorce

Reactions: R3x

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
A new styling day, a new angle change... cant seem to make up my mind with this one .
this tree surely would have been a lot further with a clear path from the start.
i will more then likely make some tweaks here and there over the winter and hopefully by next spring it’s more clear and ready for a repot in something else.
any improvement suggestions feel free.
DC3A76B1-DC4B-4134-928A-C7C70A682BE1.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good changes. Tree looks GREAT😉. You are perhaps Master in the making.

Top Bottom