Japanese white pine - nursery find

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found this JWP at a nursery and fell in love with it. The problem is that I am not sure of its bonsai potential. It is about 4.5' tall and most of the lower branches have died off. I've never worked with this tree before so I am not sure what I could get away with if I tried reducing its height. Could I cut it back a little at a time over a few years? Would this stimulate any back-budding? Sorry for the poor quality - All I had was my cel phone camera.

Attachments

• JWP01.jpg
    JWP01.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 237
  • JWP02.jpg
    JWP02.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 164
  • jwp03.jpg
    jwp03.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 161

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I found this JWP at a nursery and fell in love with it. The problem is that I am not sure of its bonsai potential. It is about 4.5' tall and most of the lower branches have died off. I've never worked with this tree before so I am not sure what I could get away with if I tried reducing its height. Could I cut it back a little at a time over a few years? Would this stimulate any back-budding? Sorry for the poor quality - All I had was my cel phone camera.

There is always Imperial Sized Bonsai..
Irene

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think I would pass on this tree for bonsai, maybe to plant in the yard though. I doubt you would ever get any back budding down low.

Tom

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Don't waste your money trying to make that tree a bonsai, it will never happen.

keep it green,
Harry

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Would it bring you joy working it over and seeing the response?

I can see many enjoyable hours,much scope for the imagination.

wvbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I doubt you will see any back budding. Grafting some foliage lower on the trunk would be a more viable option. It wont come easy but it can give you an opportunity to practice some grafting techniques. So, if you like it and it wont break the bank maybe you could try that route. Just my .02

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you all for your input. I will make a low-ball offer and hope it gets accepted. If nothing else, there is a spot near the edge of my deck where it would look very nice.

Klytus - Those balls are just tufts of grass that were growing on the rootball.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They are included in the price?
You could frustrate Mr Cochoy by requesting one of his grass pots.

Will you train your new deck tree?
A nice flat top?
Welcoming limbs?
Cloud formations?
Calligraphy?

A Fighting Pine style sees a branch bending downwards as if to scoop up sand and cast it into an unseen opponents eyes.

It's a no holds barred thing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are included in the price?
You could frustrate Mr Cochoy by requesting one of his grass pots.

Will you train your new deck tree?
A nice flat top?
Welcoming limbs?
Cloud formations?
Calligraphy?

A Fighting Pine style sees a branch bending downwards as if to scoop up sand and cast it into an unseen opponents eyes.

It's a no holds barred thing.

Thanks for the suggestions, but alas, there will be no deck tree. The nursery owner was offended by my offer so I will not buy it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The price tag was 154.00, which I think is fair for a healthy tree of that size, but this tree had been plopped into a wood chip bed, had a lot of die back and had a ruptured root ball. I offered him $75 because of the risk I would be taking. He would not hear of it.

Top Bottom