Japanese White Pine ... Possible Fungus or a lichen?

Tom29

Sapling
Reaction score
First of all, hi!

I'm Tom from Nottingham in the UK and whilst not new to bonsai, I am new to pines - and in love already!

This is one of my new trees, which appears to have some sort of moss on it. It also has some yellowing to the tips on the apex of the tree, but I'm putting this down to a bit of sun burn from when it was at the nursery.

My question is, is this moss/lichen and not fungus - I've not had anything similar on my trees before.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2652 2.jpeg
    IMG_2652 2.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2642.jpeg
    IMG_2642.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
That’s just lichen. Harmless.

Tom29

Sapling
Reaction score
I've heard about vinegar to control lichens and moss before, but always been hesitant to do it.

I was recommended a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar, sprayed on the moss and after a day or so it will die back and pretty much fall off.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Vinegar is a herbicide at some level, and 50% is probably over that. Household bleach @ ~15 to 20% in water can be painted on without harm. I love Lichen and apply it to my trees, routinely. Nothing says old like a Lichen cover bark. Of course, beauty is in the eye of...

Tom29

Sapling
Reaction score
Absolutely makes sense, the tree in question is estimated about 60-70 years old and its trunk it a big part of it's charm.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Straight white vinegar is 5-10% acetic acid, while horticultural vinegar is 30% or higher. I've sprayed straight white vinegar onto the surface of bonsai soil many times to kill weeds or moss and it's proven safe and effective. The horticultural vinegar is actually used as a herbicide, typically undiluted, but I'd be much more cautious using that on my trees.

Tom29

Sapling
Reaction score
Great info to know - will definitely be trying vinegar on my latest tree

Top Bottom