Japanese White Pine Restyle

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Actually, I'm not crazy about this pot. The shape isn't bad, but I think it's a little too deep and a little too clunky...

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The Pine as it appeared in the landscape is optically behind the pot in these images.

I find it troubling.

It's just planted a little high, if I understand you correctly.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Without the pot it was easy to see a grassy knoll,a stream curving in from the left and a small illicit whooping fisherman who could be seen seated on a slightly exposed rock promontory.

But tastes vary considerably.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice - maybe a tad wide as you said, but I really like it.

It looks like you're able to keep JWP very healthy down in AL - I thought it was difficult to keep these trees in the south. Any secrets?

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Very nice - maybe a tad wide as you said, but I really like it.

It looks like you're able to keep JWP very healthy down in AL - I thought it was difficult to keep these trees in the south. Any secrets?

Thanks. They need plenty of shade, especially important to keep the pots cool. Once the candles open in the spring, they should be moved from full sun to AM sun only.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have been looking for a nice JWP to work on. Where can one find JWP ( this quality) for sale ? Is it just by chance that you stumble on one.

I decided to buy one after working on this one, and looked for several months until I found one with a good graft union, and while I ended up not buying from Lotus, Bolet was very helpful, and sent me about a dozen candidates from a few hundred to a few thousand (http://www.lotusbonsai.com/). Here are some of what she sent last weekend...

Attachments

• PC040004.jpg
    PC040004.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 246
  • PC040005.jpg
    PC040005.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 245
  • PC040007.jpg
    PC040007.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 246
  • PC040014.jpg
    PC040014.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 235
  • PC040017.jpg
    PC040017.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work on JWP. Very nice improvement on the crown.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Nice trees.

keep it green,
Harry

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks...I'll be shooting the "new" one as I wire it out this winter.

Also keepin' it green (mostly)...:D
BVF

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I decided to buy one after working on this one, and looked for several months until I found one with a good graft union, and while I ended up not buying from Lotus, Bolet was very helpful, and sent me about a dozen candidates from a few hundred to a few thousand (http://www.lotusbonsai.com/). Here are some of what she sent last weekend...

Those are some beautiful trees..I'm looking forward to seeing which one(s) you choose.

Someday I'll treat myself to one as well!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Those are some beautiful trees..I'm looking forward to seeing which one(s) you choose.

This is the one I bought, looking forward to doing some fine wiring this winter!

Attachments

• JWP Miyajima 10 (1).jpg
    JWP Miyajima 10 (1).jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 278

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
VERY nice WP, Brian. I've heard they have some issues in humid climates. That true?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are some shots before and after Peter and I (mostly him) wired it over the weekend. Interesting to see how much they do fill in, even when it seems they're not doing much. The middle area needs to fill in some, and hopefully the first right branch will bulk up and provide something to build up some density with.
JWP 092511.jpgJWP 102211.jpg

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that's working out into a very nice tree. Great job!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That's one heck of a trunk...the tree looks very happy in 'Bama', as well, and the canopy is filling in nicely. Makes me rethink writing off JWP due to my locale. Any updates on the original tree shown in this post? Keep up the great work, Brian.

Dave

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Maybe you want to bring that primary branch down a bit more? They always want to come up, and you want to avoid them being perfectly horizontal, so it is better to bring them down early before they get too hard.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree Brian, I really like what you've done. I was thinking though with the primary branch, have you considered shortening it? As it sits now it is way too long and awkward compared to the rest of the tree. I supposed if you plan on growing out the rest of the branches it could be fine but if you were to shorten it now then you could have an almost completed look. Just throwing out ideas.

Tom

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks, it's coming along, and the first branch will need to be addressed at some point. Once the middle areas fill in a bit, it may be shortened, or may be in better scale with the design.

Dave, the original pine from this post is looking good, I checked on it last week but didn't get any photos. I'll try to get some at some point in the next few weeks.

Top Bottom