Japanese White Pine Restyle

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree. What I like about it the most is that the graft is a lot more subtle than other grafted JWP.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I decided to buy one after working on this one, and looked for several months until I found one with a good graft union, and while I ended up not buying from Lotus, Bolet was very helpful, and sent me about a dozen candidates from a few hundred to a few thousand (http://www.lotusbonsai.com/). Here are some of what she sent last weekend...

I agree with your comments about Lotus. I bought a lovely (much smaller) JWP from Bolet Salvador. She was helpful in the extreme, and sent dozens of pictures, and I wasn't in the expensive range. Well, for me it was.... but not considering what they have at the nursery. The shipping was very reasonable for all the way across the country, and well packaged. Here's the tree I got from them after I did it's first wiring.

Attachments

• JWP after wire.jpg
    JWP after wire.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 165

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking good BVF. I am completely jealous of this tree one day I would really like to have a similary JWP. Hope to stay posted on it's progress.

I might have seen this one before but it looks like a pretty good start Judy. Has a interesting shape already good luck with it.

Chri77pher88

Banned
Reaction score
Here is a photo after the weekend's work...pretty clear what's done and what's left. I'm looking forward to getting back to it maybe this weekend.
1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Quick update, poor photo; it's challenging to get a good one in the pavilion where it's on display. The tree responded well this year, and needs another season to fill in properly.
SAM_1196.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Brian, your pine is coming along great, big improvement from your first photos.

A few personal thoughts:

It looks like the tree needs more full sun, branches are too open and not compact.

Also the width of the branches seems too long when compared with the trunk thickness. Just my opinion tonight.

Keep up the good work.
Bill

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it Brian. Keep us updated. I've been pulling old needles at the nursery and the white pines sure have a ton to pull off. I'm still thinking that there is going to be one in my future.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These trees are looking great Brain! I really like yours; by the way... are just the branches grafted on? The whole trunk looks like JBP to me...but maybe it's just me? If so...I like this much better than when the trunk transitions abruptly from black to white. :)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha, I see it now. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to your work :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I'm getting ready to style my first pine.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Quick update on this one, which is improving after nearly a year in the sunshine, heavy feeding, and repotted into better-draining soil. Maybe next fall I will be able to tighten up the design a little more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 146

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
amazing from the first post till now.

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the updates. It's very informative to watch the tree in process...not just see the end result. Much appreciated!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking great! I went back to look at the first image, and wonder if you have considered allowing some foliage in front of the trunk again? Something about that drew my eye in a good way from the first picture.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking great! I went back to look at the first image, and wonder if you have considered allowing some foliage in front of the trunk again? Something about that drew my eye in a good way from the first picture.
Yes, definitely. I'm just not looking forward to the project...it's a TON of wiring, so I've been putting it off as long as possible (pushing 3 years now!).

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Amazing progress over 3 yrs Brian! Now, just get out there and wire it up! ;))

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful tree... Just another reminder of why my only 2 pines are white pines.:D

Any plans to reduce the silhouette in the future?

Rob

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Unwired this weekend (thanks Adam!).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg