Yea but does it have pollen pods? :p

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yea but does it have pollen pods? :p
Plenty...
You beat me to the same question Judy. Brian, won't there be a bad scar at the failed graft site?
It's not bad, but if I get a graft to take closer to the trunk, the scar will be covered, then removed altogether.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Getting unruly...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 101

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
in such a good way! Funny, I just looked thru this old thread earlier today, so nice to see an update. REally happy.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Brian, from your blog post it seems as though five needle pines don't do well for you... I'm curious too how you changed your culture to care for white pines,.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, from your blog post it seems as though five needle pines don't do well for you... I'm curious too how you changed your culture to care for white pines,.

I have killed two Miyajima JWP, which were on the expensive side. I'm convinced the recent fatality was root rot. This one belongs to our club and has been in town for decades. I keep it very dry, watering around every 4-5 days, mist foliage several times a day, and in 100% full sun.

My Zuisho from Brent is doing very well after 9 years, in the ground with just a little afternoon shade.

I really like JWP, but am not presently willing to risk another out-of-zone purchase, when so many other varieties thrive here.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have killed two Miyajima JWP, which were on the expensive side. I'm convinced the recent fatality was root rot. This one belongs to our club and has been in town for decades. I keep it very dry, watering around every 4-5 days, mist foliage several times a day, and in 100% full sun.

My Zuisho from Brent is doing very well after 9 years, in the ground with just a little afternoon shade.

I really like JWP, but am not presently willing to risk another out-of-zone purchase, when so many other varieties thrive here.

Good to know. So I'm looking to get a JWP that's here in the US but unsure how long it's been in the states... If it's even imported or not. I suppose I should ask!

I read they like a good, deep dormancy and they also prefer drier environments... Both of which I can provide. I think my biggest obstacle would be WIND. The winds here will desiccate a living thing in an afternoon if not protected.

My conditions are. So different from yours... I just need to figure out if my conditions are. Better or worse than yours.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It will probably thrive there. One of the best things I did to site my trees was to find or create a condition where they don't get too much wind.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It will probably thrive there. One of the best things I did to site my trees was to find or create a condition where they don't get too much wind.

Yeah I hate wind, which is unfortunate for me, as the front range of the Rockies isn't exactly a calm place. However, I do love my japanese maples and so up a shade house goes that is covered on all sides with sail cloth kept tight. It drops the wind down to a healthy breeze at its worst. The maples appreciate it and leaf wilt doesn't really happen any longer.

Beautiful tree you have! Even if it is the clubs tree... Thanks for sharing it with us!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Curious, where do you find Miyajima JWP's in the states? Do you know of any nurseries online that will ship 1-5 year old seedlings?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Curious, where do you find Miyajima JWP's in the states? Do you know of any nurseries online that will ship 1-5 year old seedlings?
Miyajima has become a generic term for JWP grafted on JBP root stock, so you're not going to find seedlings, unless you to Miyajima Island near Hiroshima Japan. Grafting to JBP tends to make the foliage brush-like and a bit coarser.

However, several nurseries in the USA are grafting JWP on JBP stock. Check evergreengardenworks.com for more. Be prepared to spend $65-125 for a small grafted cultivar.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Miyajima has become a generic term for JWP grafted on JBP root stock, so you're not going to find seedlings, unless you to Miyajima Island near Hiroshima Japan. Grafting to JBP tends to make the foliage brush-like and a bit coarser.

However, several nurseries in the USA are grafting JWP on JBP stock. Check evergreengardenworks.com for more. Be prepared to spend $65-125 for a small grafted cultivar.

Well, I bought a JWP! I got it off eBay but conversed with the seller. Apparently, it is a pine that was grafted onto JBP stock in Oregon and has lived in Oregon this entire time. It was a little more than I wanted to spend on my first JWP but it's a decent tree, I think. It should arrive next week, when I return home.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well, I bought a JWP! I got it off eBay but conversed with the seller. Apparently, it is a pine that was grafted onto JBP stock in Oregon and has lived in Oregon this entire time. It was a little more than I wanted to spend on my first JWP but it's a decent tree, I think. It should arrive next week, when I return home.
Congrats, be sure to start a thread and share it!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks like the Birmingham Botanical Gardens.

It looks like it's grown enough for s cut back.

By the way, the Zuisho I bought from Julian appears to be growing well for me. I've got 1 inch candles pretty much everywhere on the tree, and I broke back several in the apex area for balance.

When I bought the tree I did buy his Micronutrients, and applied a bit to all my white pines. He says it's not a "fertilizer" since it's not an NPK thing. More trace minerals.

I repotted it out of the turface into enhanced ClayKing. Added more pumice and lava to make it dryer. I think the turface kept it too wet.

Top Bottom