Japanese White Pine seed germination (giving it another try)

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience growing JWP from seed? Last year I purchased 19 seeds. They all sprouted, which was exciting, but then all got fried by the heat of a hot summer weekend while I was out of town. I'm giving it another go, so I collected some JWP seeds from trees in my yard, placed them in the fridge for 4 months and now 3 out of 21 are already starting to sprout. I planted those three in a 4 inch pot, while the rest are in a larger one, all in bonsai soil. This time I'm going to keep the small pot in my kitchen which is a consistent temp all year, and keep the rest outside (hoping they'll sprout too).

Your input is welcome!

T

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While I don't have experience with JWP, I have tried Austrian, Aleppo, and Pinyon. Due to much trial and error it seems that pine seeds should not be started outdoors in the heat of summer, especially not where I live. I believe they stand a better chance of survival when started indoors. That way they do not endure extreme outdoor temperatures until they have fully established themselves.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for your input, because that's exactly what I did, and 6 have sprouted indoors. One thing I did learn is not to have ANY organic fert left over in the soil when the seeds germinate. Something about the fungi decomposing the fert that kills new sprouts. But I would like to bring them outside to speed up the growth. I'll need protection agaist birds that I've seen pluck out seedlings for no apparent reason.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only pine seeds I have done is JBP.I have only had success in sterile soil,otherwise they damp off like crazy until the stem loses the succulent stage.Once they lose that succulent stem,I would give them at least 5 hours of sun.JWP? I heard they are pretty week with usually yellowed needles on own roots.I may be wrong though.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good to know about the damp off for JBP seeds. I'm thinking of starting JRP from seed as well, which I'm guessing will respond similarly to JBP. So far, I've kept my JWP seedlings that have sprouted inside. I read a taxonomy article on "Native White Pines of Japan", and it was stated that JWP seedlings grow best under the forest canopy in diffused sunlight in the first several years. I have several JWP on their own roots, including zuisho air-layers, that have beautiful emerald green, to blueish-silver needles. It all depends on how well they're fertilized. Their vigor is definitely weaker than JBP, but they're much more cold hardy.

Top Bottom