Japanese white pine seeds

Nicwyn

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently ccollected some jwp seed from my local nursery. The pine was a named cultivar and my question is what can I expect from the seed? Will they resemble the cultivar be sterile or best case scenario revert to a regular jwp as that is what I would prefer? Thank you

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They will likely not resemble the parent plant depending on whether it was grafted or not.

The majority of JWP named cultivars are grafted, and you are correct to assume if they germinate the resulting plants
will probably turn out to be common JWP.

Just out of curiosity, which cultivar was the donor plant?

Nicwyn

Seed
Reaction score
They will likely not resemble the parent plant depending on whether it was grafted or not.

The majority of JWP named cultivars are grafted, and you are correct to assume if they germinate the resulting plants

Thanks for the response. I believe it was blue Angel. I was hoping it would be the standard white pine. It was definitely grafted but I cannot find any info on how jwp seeds produce. I know apples will revert back to crab apples and JM will more than likely revert to standard but sometimes will carry some cultivar characteristics.

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
Any update on your seeds? Did you stratify? Did any germinate yet?

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Not quite correct, they most likely will indeed not resemble the parent cultivar. However what they will look like will be depending on both parents. If it is a self pollination they will look similar to the parent cultivar. In the case of a cross pollination (more likely) it could be a wildtype or something completely different.

Top Bottom