Japanese white pines pre bonsai help

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am very much a beginner in bonsai, and I've received by mail two JWP from Conifrr Kingdom Nursery, which is recommended !. Now, I've done some reading but I'm not sure how to better develop the trees before training. First question is will they survive D.C. Winter . If they do, should I keep them in bigger pots and better soil to develop the branches and trunks while feeding them like crazy ? Would it be better to move them to training pots? Finally, should I start balancing them this spring by reducing the candles on top and on the major lower branch or to just let them grow for a bit?

Thank for helping a beginner!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 130

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gilad, welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to update your profile to tell us where you are, so the advice is given with that in mind.

Are these grafted JWP or on own roots? If grafted, then probably onto JBP roots, so will be a little less cold hardy, although I would think they will be fine in DC. Here in my area I give my grafted JWP a bit of extra winter protection.
Hard to see the trees from the angle you photographed them from, maybe take some straight on to the tree instead of from above. Looks like there is one tree with a long straight section with no branching. This could be a problem, but it's hard to tell for sure. You could always develop the tree to be below that straight section, and build on the low branching. Wiring can take place anytime, the earlier you get the bends in the better.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi
welcome. P. Parviflora will be fine in the DC area. You should protect the roots by burying the pot or at least mulching around it if possible. The tree above the roots should be fine. Protect from the drying winter winds is the only other protection to take.If they are some place where that rain can water you should be alright. Otherwise you must make sure the pot doesn't dry out completely .

What cultivars did you buy? The second one looks like it may be 'Catherine Elizabeth'. Purchased some trees from CK, have always been pleased.

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments!. I'll try to get better picture later - it's raining and cold now . I'm wondering about the benefits of leaving the trees in their nursery pots (after changing to better soil) versus planting in bonsai/training pots. They have some growing and development ahead of them and I'm not sure what will be the best .

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the comments!. I'll try to get better picture later - it's raining and cold now . I'm wondering about the benefits of leaving the trees in their nursery pots (after changing to better soil) versus planting in bonsai/training pots. They have some growing and development ahead of them and I'm not sure what will be the best .

I would slip pot them into a little larger bucket or better yet a collander with your bonsai soil of choice.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I would leave them as is till spring. At that point you would have a few choices.You could slip pot as noted above. You could do a full re-pot with root pruning into a bonsai training pot. Another option is to plant in the ground and grow them out for a few years. All have there advantages and disadvantages. You can do some research and wait for spring and then decide.

I would put them outside today. They will enjoy some rain. But like I said if it dips down into the lower 20's for a few days you would want to protect /insult the rootball from freeze damage.

The cultivar names?

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would leave them as is till spring. At that point you would have a few choices.You could slip pot as noted above. You could do a full re-pot with root pruning into a bonsai training pot. Another option is to plant in the ground and grow them out for a few years. All have there advantages and disadvantages. You can do some research and wait for spring and then decide.

I would put them outside today. They will enjoy some rain. But like I said if it dips down into the lower 20's for a few days you would want to protect /insult the rootball from freeze damage.

The cultivar names?

Fukuzumi and Catherine Elizabeth

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fukuzumi and Catherine Elizabeth

Nice choices. 'Fuku-zu-mi' an upright prostate grows in a natural windswept form. Wanted one of those myself. I thought that was Catherine Elizabeth. also interesting. A natural dwarf. Another one thats been on my buy list. Good luck with those trees.

Last edited:

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Gilad, welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to update your profile to tell us where you are, so the advice is given with that in mind.

Are these grafted JWP or on own roots? If grafted, then probably onto JBP roots, so will be a little less cold hardy, although I would think they will be fine in DC. Here in my area I give my grafted JWP a bit of extra winter protection.
Hard to see the trees from the angle you photographed them from, maybe take some straight on to the tree instead of from above. Looks like there is one tree with a long straight section with no branching. This could be a problem, but it's hard to tell for sure. You could always develop the tree to be below that straight section, and build on the low branching. Wiring can take place anytime, the earlier you get the bends in the better.

What do you mean "develop below the tree believe that section"?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Meaning that the top of the tree would be cut off, getting rid of the problematic section, and you would develop the tree from the branches that are below.
And I don't think I'd do any rootwork at this time of year in a cold climate. Why rush, and risk?

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
I didn't plan on any work these days. I was just thinking ahead for spring: large pots or to bonsai training pots. I don't think I have the heart to cut the tree so much yet. Too big of a step for me now. I'll concentrate on keeping it alive and on balancing it. But I see your view , it should work. Perhaps I'll wait to see if lower branches could be trusted to be new apex .

Last edited:

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
. I don't think I have the heart to cut the tree so much yet .

Know that feeling. I don't think Judy meant that you needed to cut that off today. However in the final design, I agree that branch may not be there when all is said and done. Use it as a sacrifice limb for now. Get to know how the tree grows and see how it goes for a year before making any drastic cuts.Learn about pinching candles, shoot pruning, needle plucking and bud removal specific to the JWP. All design tools . And like you said learn first to keep the tree alive.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Know that feeling. I don't think Judy meant that you needed to cut that off today. However in the final design, I agree that branch may not be there when all is said and done. Use it as a sacrifice limb for now. Get to know how the tree grows and see how it goes for a year before making any drastic cuts.Learn about pinching candles, shoot pruning, needle plucking and bud removal specific to the JWP. All design tools . And like you said learn first to keep the tree alive.

+1 on all of the above advice. And have fun!

Top Bottom